No RR bonus on Forest squares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No RR bonus on Forest squares

Is it just me or is there a bug in 1.22 where RR in Forest only generates 2 Shields rather than 3? For all other terrain types, RR generates +50% Shields.

I had C3 version 1.29f installed, then installed C3C and updated to patch 1.15, then patch 1.20 and finally installed the FULL version of 1.22. Please don't tell me I have to re-install . . .

RR only enhance the shield/food of mines/farms improvements. They do not affect forests.

Comment

Well, that doesn't make sense. Why not forests as well as mines/farms? They do ship logs by rail as well.

Comment

If RRed forests gave +1 shield then that would make them equivalent to mined hills, giving cities in the middle of no where a huge shield possibility (think flood plains plus a bunch of instant 3-shield tiles).

Comment

Yes . . . increased shield production but at the cost of food. You can have these high shield production cities but not very big in population size - an industrial city like Detroit or Pittsburgh.

I kinda miss the concept of being able to ship food between cities that we had in Civ2. Kinda helped out those bitty towns on the outskirts of nowhere.

Comment

yea.. that was awesome!

I kinda miss the concept of being able to ship food between cities that we had in Civ2
            i really wish we had something like supply crawlers that alpha centauri has.

Perhaps workers should be able to "work" a distant tile and send the 'goods' back home, at the cost of one gold per turn (unit support cost).

Comment

This is not a 1.22 issue. This has always been the case, you've just never noticed

Yes, once RR's arrive, Forests become sub-optimal. End of story.
              So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
              Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Originally posted by Aqualung71
                Yes, once RR's arrive, Forests become sub-optimal.
                Funny, that's just like how it happened in real life...RRs came, and now forests aren't quite as common as they were...

Perhaps to truly show realism, a forest gives 20 shields if connected by a RR and is cut down? But that is a minor point, as most forests are usually cut down by then anyways.
                I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Funny, that's just like how it happened in real life...RRs came, and now forests aren't quite as common as they were...

Actually, forests have never been particularly useful. TREES have been useful, but always exploited to the point of deforestation.

Comment

The problem is that forests get chopped way too early. I think Firaxis went the wrong way when they reduced to chopping time -- they should have increased it and increased the bounty to 20. With Rhye's of Civilization mod the chopping time is increased to FORTY (I then increased the shields to 20).

Comment

You know, there is such a thing as sustainable forestry. The concept is quite simple - regrow trees as fast as you harvest them. I know that you can sort of do that in Civ by replanting trees after they've been chopped. However that can get very tedious as you have to manually give the command to replant after chopping.

It would be nice, if they could make an auto-command to chop-replant-chop-replant ad infinitum. That would make use of those odd squares not within city limits or the bleak tundra areas. Yeah, that's right - make use of those slaves! Send them to the frigid boonies, harvesting and planting trees for your hungry war machine!

Comment

Hm. Since the advent of railroads, forest coverage has been rising in Sweden. Clearly we're doing something wrong.

zyelmyrada: You're aware that since one of the Vanilla patches, chopping down a replanted forest does not yield any shields?
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                          Hm. Since the advent of railroads, forest coverage has been rising in Sweden. Clearly we're doing something wrong.

zyelmyrada: You're aware that since one of the Vanilla patches, chopping down a replanted forest does not yield any shields?
                          .Oh really!!! Boy, do I feel stupid!! So that's why chopping those trees time and again had no effect. Well, why is that?

If you replant trees and chop them down, it should make sense that you can get production from that. After all, you are reusing a resource and have to expend man-hours to get it. After all, the game allows you to extract minerals from mined hillsides forever! Not to mention leeching food from the plains for countless generations.

Comment

It was considered an exploit I think
                            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Originally posted by zyelmyrada
                              After all, the game allows you to extract minerals from mined hillsides forever! Not to mention leeching food from the plains for countless generations.
                              That's where the two shields a turn comes in.
                              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                              X