Bombardment revisted: v1.22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bombardment revisted: v1.22

If this has been posted already then I apologize.

I have noticed an interesting change in Civ3 bombardment between version 1.15 beta and 1.22.

In 1.15, your bombardment would FIRST damage city walls, then UNITS, and finally either population or improvements last.

In 1.22, it seems that there is a *chance* for your bombardment to damage improvements on the very FIRST bombardment.

I found this in my first 1.22 game; a catapult bombarded a town, and the first thing it did was destroy the town's temple. I was surprised at that one. Then the other catapults in the stack injured the units.

I found that interesting, as I never had that happen with 1.15, and thought I would pass it along and see what everyone else discovers...
    Let Them Eat Cake

This is how bombardment originally worked. The fact that in Conquests it damaged units first was AFAIK a bug.

Comment

Did that civ have the Great Wall? In 1.15 there was a bug/feature that meant if a civ had the GW you targeted all improvements before the units - p'rhaps the Temple was the only improvement.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I just confirmed that the bombardment system of 1.15 still holds in 1.22 - you damage the units first.

There are three exceptions:

1. Air units still hit things randomly (the same 50:25:25 weighting as in PTW, I believe).
        2. Naval units destroy the Coastal Fortress first of all.
        3. Land units destroy the Walls first, if the city is small enough to benefit from them.

I'm too lazy to check the exact effects of the Great Wall ATM.

Notice that Civil Defense is treated like any other improvement.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
          Did that civ have the Great Wall? In 1.15 there was a bug/feature that meant if a civ had the GW you targeted all improvements before the units - p'rhaps the Temple was the only improvement.
          Yes that civ had the Great Wall. I guess this GW phenomenon is still present in 1.22.

Attacking civs that do not have the GW, bombardment works with units first as is usual.
          Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

I sometimes wonder why the developers don't mention things like the modified treatment of bombardment in C3C in the manual. I'd argue it's got more impact than things like the Fave/Shunned gov'ts of the new civs, which they do tell about.

Comment

Working...
            X