Cruise Missiles: Balanced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(1 nautical mile = 1.15 statute miles)

My opinion is that a tactical nuke = a cruise missile.
    A Tomahawk, for example, can be fitted with a nuclear warhead (TLAM-N) making it a tactical nuke, or a conventional HE (high explosive) warhead, making it a cruise missile. So in my MOD I have increased the range of a cruise missile more in line with that of a tactical nuke.

I'm also toying with the idea of giving Cruise Missiles the 'tactical missile' flag, and allowing AEGIS Cruisers to carry cruise missiles...
    The Tico CG's can in real life, after all...
    Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Duh, just realized that the tactical flag would accomplish the same thing.
      Last edited by Solomwi; March 25, 2004, 20:41.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Mace
        (1 nautical mile = 1.15 statute miles)

My opinion is that a tactical nuke = a cruise missile.
        A Tomahawk, for example, can be fitted with a nuclear warhead (TLAM-N) making it a tactical nuke, or a conventional HE (high explosive) warhead, making it a cruise missile. So in my MOD I have increased the range of a cruise missile more in line with that of a tactical nuke.

I'm also toying with the idea of giving Cruise Missiles the 'tactical missile' flag, and allowing AEGIS Cruisers to carry cruise missiles...
        The Tico CG's can in real life, after all...
        Ah, we have similar minds. Make the mod I think you will enjoy it. Also make sure the rebase is enabled so that your Cruisers (and BB's for me) do not have to go home to replenish.
        * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
        * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
        * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
        * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
          Player1:

The cruise missle should have a range much further than 4 and have a much cheaper cost, which is justified because it is a throwaway unit. A Radar Artillery will pay for its cost by the time it attacks a third target when compared to the Cruise Missle
          By definition, the range of a cruise missile is 300km or less. That's why the SCUDs were forbidden while the others (don't remember their name) were OK.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I think that the problem with cruise missiles is the relative scale and effectiveness.

The only cities you can hit with a cruise missile are cities near the coast. But if they're on the coast, its generally more cost effective to soften them up with naval bombardment (which is reusable), and then do a marine assault.

Also, because of the way city placement tends to work, cities are either on the coast or, by CxxxC 5 tiles away from the coast and out of range. Even if a city is 4 tiles away from the coast (within CM range), you have to move the ship right next to the coast in order to launch, which puts the ship within land-based bombardment range.

Ideally, the CM should be able to hit a city off the coast, which generally means either 4 or 5 tiles in, while leaving the ship out of land bombardment range (2 off the coast) for a total of range 6 or 7.

The advantage of CM is that it is a precision weapon, and it doesn't endanger your troops.

Ideally, and this may be a Civ4 thing, war weariness should have to do with the number of your actual troops you put in battle, and the number lost, thus a CM attack would be much more effective on the WW front, than an actual invasion.

And as for the precision thing, it kind of bites that you can't make CM have Stealth Attack.

The best balance I can think of is to make them much cheaper, much weaker in terms of bombardment value. Give them a longer range and Stealth Attack, and then use them to knock out infrastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris

By definition, the range of a cruise missile is 300km or less. That's why the SCUDs were forbidden while the others (don't remember their name) were OK.

[Mad bomber, wishing for ROTFLMAO smiley]

Scuds only have a range of about 100km and it has absolutely no reason why they were banned. THe limit the US put on Iraqi missles were to prevent a launch of a missle with a WMD against Israel during our next invasion. This tactic worked out splendidly as the Iraqi's actually let their improved scuds be destroyed and the US still invaded.! [/Mad Bomber wish]
              * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
              * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
              * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
              * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

TN as super cruise missile.

With 1.20, if change TN to remove nuke and add cruise missile and increase offense to 100. NO DAMAGE occurs. I forgot to change AEGIS so SSN and AEGIS can't transport, but it can be air lifted. Go figure. Graphics for bombard are same as for normal TN but only the center tile and no pollution in the adjacent tiles. Unfortunately 100 does not work. I wonder if 100 is out of bounds for this unit even though you can set it in the editor.

PF

Comment

Update, confirmed 100 was for bombardment and not offense.

Comment

Cruise missiles are great for defending your homeland when your invading another continent. I keep a few around when at war with my mobile defense home brigade. Two of them will often sink a battle ship or more importantly those transports.

Comment

I keep a few, mainly because Bombers have to rebase. It's usually not a problem though, because I station Bombers in all my border cities.

Comment

I like to use them as a defensive tool actually...ship sinkers and invader destroyers...

...mwahaha....ha...
                        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
                        X