Cruise Missiles: Balanced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Missiles: Balanced?

They have bomb. rating of 16, range of 4 and rate of fire of 3.
    Compared to Radar Artilley, they have same bombing firepower and slighty greater range.
    But you can use Radar Artillery as often as you can.
    On the other hand, cruise missiles can hit units lethaly.

So what't your opinion.
    Are they ok as they are, or they need some boost?

Add stealth attack so they can hit your target of choice! -- (thanks for the inspiration)

The problem isn't cruise missiles, it's radar artillery. So I made artillery non-upgradeable and radar artillery as expensive as modern armor (160 for me).

My one desire is to have a 2-movement regular artillery,
    [EDIT] ... but it would have to be an upgrade. OTOH, the problem has always been keeping those tubes fed -- even in Iraq they didn't have enough resupply vehicles for the artillery, and the MLRS (radar arty in C3C) was just used for counter-battery fire.

cannon: BRF=6.1.2 (not 8.1.1)
    arty: BRF=10.2.2 (not 12.2.2, too strong for an AI that never uses it offensively)
    Last edited by Jaybe; March 23, 2004, 12:28.

Comment

Player1:

The cruise missle should have a range much further than 4 and have a much cheaper cost, which is justified because it is a throwaway unit. A Radar Artillery will pay for its cost by the time it attacks a third target when compared to the Cruise Missle

Jaybee:

Resupply is always a concern in any combat but the real problem with the MLRS's was that it needed to stop to reload and that it carried a limited number of rounds when compared to tube artillery. In the most current Gulf War the Paladin was able to keep more accurate fire for a much longer time than the MLRS of Gulf War I.
      * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
      * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
      * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
      * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

ive never used cruise missels my bomber horde made it useless
        F 14 tomcat fanatic

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
          Player1:

The cruise missle should have a range much further than 4 and have a much cheaper cost, which is justified because it is a throwaway unit. A Radar Artillery will pay for its cost by the time it attacks a third target when compared to the Cruise Missle
          I don't like increasing range, since that would make it too close to range of Tactical Nukes.

But, as for the cost, I'll think something.

Maybe 40 shields?

Comment

By the way, unfortunately Stealth Attack only works for melee units and not for bombardment.

Comment

The beauty of cruise missiles is that, with a little planning, you can have an immense bombardment force with minimal upkeep cost. Optimally, you survey the scene on turn n, decide how many you'll need on turn n+1, set that many cities to producing (by the time CM are available, you should have plenty of 60 shield cities, but insert my standard huge map disclaimer here), then gather them up on turn n+1 and use them all, rinse and repeat. I'm not sure when the treasury is calculated, iow, whether this is one turn upkeep or none, but either way it's a good balancer for a "suicidal" unit.
              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                By the way, unfortunately Stealth Attack only works for melee units and not for bombardment.
                Hmm, I am quite positive that I did not give Stealth Fighter-&-Bomber "Stealth Attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

Hmm, I am quite positive that I did not give Stealth Fighter-&-Bomber "Stealth Attack.
                  Yes JB, they come with it in stock C3C, but that does not mean that it works with stealth fighters/bombers or w/cruise missiles.

(I just checked it out, and no, they don't work)

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
                    The beauty of cruise missiles is that, with a little planning, you can have an immense bombardment force with minimal upkeep cost. Optimally, you survey the scene on turn n, decide how many you'll need on turn n+1, set that many cities to producing (by the time CM are available, you should have plenty of 60 shield cities, but insert my standard huge map disclaimer here), then gather them up on turn n+1 and use them all, rinse and repeat. I'm not sure when the treasury is calculated, iow, whether this is one turn upkeep or none, but either way it's a good balancer for a "suicidal" unit.
                    Use of mass cruise missles is certainly a way to keep your military cost from rising further.

Player1:

Cruise missles are in fact tactical missles, some are limited iin range but the most common variant of the Tomahawk (TLAM-C) has a 2500nm range and can be mated with a W80 warhead (a tactical nuke)

Comment

pedant mode ON:

2500 nm range??? That's barely bigger than a good-sized molecule!

pedant mode OFF

Comment

Nano-Meters, Nautical Miles -- what's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

Nano-Meters, Nautical Miles -- what's the difference?

I didn't think that I needed to clarify but I was indeed refering to Nautical Miles, not nano meters. A nautical mile is slightly shorter than a mile and slightly longer than a Kilometer. A nano meter is well, significantly less.

Comment

What, a nautical mile is 6,076 feet or 1,852 meters. So it is more than a mile (5,280 feet).

I got something out of my 5 1/2 years in the Navy.

Comment

oops....

I thought it was a little shorter, but I am mistaken. I knew it was longer than a klick but I did not realize it was almost twice the length.

Comment

Working...
                              X