Terrain type to build a city on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrain type to build a city on

I don't see this being mentioned in any strategy guide before.
    In civ2, I always build my city on grassland because of the free irrigation, providing 3 food on the square.
    In civ3, it seems that all terrain provides the same 2 food, so if possible try to build on bad terrain like tundra or desert (provided nearby squares are not all bad terrain). Building on a hill for defensive benefit is also alright but you miss out on the shields.
    I haven't checked but maybe this is only true for Despotism due to the food/shield/commerce limitation.

I try to avoid founding on bonus food tiles, and bonus grassland.

Bonus food tiles are really the ones to avoid (except, IMO, floodplains, since those just aren't THAT good), since IIRC the best the city tile can do (unless you're Agricultural) is 2 food per turn.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Found on the worst tile in your "site range", that is that will accomplish what you want to do with the city placement. As Arrian says, don't worry about floodplains, as founding next to a river is far more beneficial than losing that food is detrimental, and especially since floodplains usually travel together, meaning there will be others you can work for extra food.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I don't like to settle near flood plains cause of disease.

Comment

Well, OUR sickly, diseased peoples are churning out one worker every two turns. However, if you care enough for the health and well-being of your populace, that's your playing style and I commend you for it.

Comment

Originally posted by anarchie
            Well, OUR sickly, diseased peoples are churning out one worker every two turns. However, if you care enough for the health and well-being of your populace, that's your playing style and I commend you for it.

....and I bet your favoured government is fascism!
            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Lol, anarchie. Rellin, I used to think that way, too, but unless I'm mistaken, disease is a threat with floodplain anywhere in the city radius, not just if the city site is floodplain (this is assuming it's the same model as for jungle, and that I haven't misunderstood the jungle model). Floodplains are too good to avoid entirely, so go ahead and knock the aqueduct off your list of worries.

Comment

Does anybody know the likelihood of disease killing citizens? It seems to occur on consecutive turns. Maybe only the citizens working the jungle/flood plain square will be affected?
                What about military units dying of disease? Never seen that happen before.

Comment

i saw a swordsman keel over once. he was fortified in a jungle in neutral territory (closing a bottleneck)
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Fistleaf
                    Does anybody know the likelihood of disease killing citizens? It seems to occur on consecutive turns.
                    0.5% per turn chance of disease for every floodplains/jungle tile a city is working. Hits twice in a row if you have enough population.

Comment

Certain civs should be allowed to settle on mountains. Latin America civs.

Comment

Originally posted by alexman

0.5% per turn chance of disease for every floodplains/jungle tile a city is working. Hits twice in a row if you have enough population.
                        I thought it might be based on which tiles got worked. Glad to see this confirmed.

Comment

In all of the games I have played, I have seen maybe 3 units die in jungle tiles. I see pop in cities die from it.

My question is why do you still have disease after learning medicine? Do you need to have a hospitol to prevent it?

Comment

The tech you need is Sanitation. You should be all set after that.

Comment

Funny I cannot even place that tech. I just think of CivII. I guess I need to look again at the pedia, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X