Trespass issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trespass issues

Is it just me or does the AI take absolutely NO notice of national borders at all and just trespass as much as it wants?

The only way I've come up with avoiding this is to set up a (sometimes huge) line of units on my borders which prevents the AI getting in. As soon as the line is broken for some reason, sometimes 10s sometimes 100s of AI units start piling through the gap. It's not always settlers trying to fill gaps in my civ and I've told them to get out of my territory but they just plain ignore me. Then I just have to watch for ships, which also ignore borders :/

The last game of C3C I played, I had a huge line of cavalry sweeping out an empty land where the byzantines had completely razed the carthaginian empire gently forcing them back into their own borders. Presumably the AI has a maximum number of cities as he systematically razed every city he conquered. Anyway, I had to give up on the game as when rubber appeared, there were three resources (on a huge map) and they were all in the middle of the AI's empire. But that's another story

If you sit between AI and any land that can be settled on, the AI will ignore your borders and try to settle on that land. Once you settle all that land or place units covering all that land, they will stop ignoring your borders.

Comment

So, if I dont want to put a city on a massive desert or mountain range, to stop the AI sending loads of settlers and units over my borders I need to fortify my own units on it?

Comment

Normally it has been my experience that the AI will not cross your borders if you are percieved as strong. Well almost, it will once it runs out of places to plop a city and it knows that land is available if it cross you land.

I often will get my borders up to cut of access to open land behind me and the AI will stay away for a long time. Eventually it will try run for the land, it has no choice.

Then it comes down to how strong I am compared to them and how scares land is at that time.

Basically when I used to have that issue it was becasue I was not building enough units. Check the F3 screen and see what it says.

Comment

Usually when 10s or 100s of AI units enter your borders, it's time to declare war and have a nuke handy.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

If I have a someone civ on my land mass, they are not going to get to have 100's of units. If they do I have a big problem.

They are not going to bring 100's of units across the water, so I am not going to face that issue on my homeland. If I invaded, that is another story.

Comment

Something else that's aggravating is when you are sandwiched between two warring ai civs. They usually fight their battles on your soil! Their units clog your road network preventing you from moving workers around easier.

Maybe there should be a feature that if you fight a war on a neutral parties land you automatically go to war with the neutral.
              signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Yes! The whole thing is aggravating and as far as I can see the only sure way of stopping it is to line your borders with units.

ROP agreements are a waste of time, no?

Comment

I ALWAYS fortify units across an isthmus (or any thin tract of land).

I have a bit of sympathy for the AI, because sometimes I sign RoP's with them simply to screw them over by messing with their road network. I will sometimes fortify eight units outside their capital (and other core cities), too

Comment

Well yeah, if they get a few units wandering around in your territory they invariably interfere with your road network and sometimes camp in strategically useful squares. Then they declare war on you for little to no reason and those units become a serious problem. I guess it's only fair to do the same thing back to them when you get a ROP. Perhaps a rule change allowing allied units to occupy the same squares would be of benefit. Perhaps it would just be a PITA!

Maybe I should start playing on the map type (forgot the name) with lots of thin tracts of land as opposed to the vast tracts of land (sic) that I have been doing.

Comment

Archipelago map gives you more isthmus, as do smaller maps.
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                        Archipelago map gives you more isthmus, as do smaller maps.
                        I think the plural of isthmus is 'isthmii'. (ACS is the only place in the entire world where you will need that info)

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000

I think the plural of isthmus is 'isthmii'. (ACS is the only place in the entire world where you will need that info)

So true!!!
                          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

isthmus: Narrow part of the breast of a fish that projects forward between the gill chambers.

And uh, only one i. 'isthmi'. Teach thyself. http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin...try%3D%2325085

Comment

C3C has added a powerful new tool to aid in border defense. It is called the barricade and I find it indespensible in securing my borders and protecting valuable resources.

In both Vanilla CIV 3 and PTW fortresses could be built to protect territory, but their was a drawback, the AI would simply ignored the fortresses if held and fast movers simply moved past them. Built properly a system of barricades prevents this.

The main drawback of a Barricade system is that it is expensive in shields and worker turns to erect (remember all barricades should be garrisoned by a good defender, otherwise its a liability) , however once in place it can not only avoid the ocasional border infraction, but also to avoid a war you would not otherwise be prepared for.

A proper barricade system would look similar to this:

------ = Border
                              B=Baricade

______
                              B-B-B-B
                              -B-B-B-
                              * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                              * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                              * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                              * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Working...
                              X