No announcement yet.

Where are the small wonders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's that good ole' blitz spirit. Here's an OT idea for Civ4 - a siege/bombardment unhappiness that kicks in and remains as long as an invading army is stationed outside a city or is bombarding a city. This could simulate the famine and disease that has so often followed sieges through history, especially in cities with Walls (like Athens when besieged by the Spartans, or any Medieval city you care to name).

Originally posted by vmxa1
    Stacks of workers will fix that up in no time. Now I am bummed out, I may never see that graphic.
    Why not? Just find a savegame where you got to the modern era, give away a whole lot of tech until you all have Nukes and the SDI and provoke a war.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Too lazy for that, but I will keep my eyes open. Once in awhile someone pops up with a game saved at that point.
      You would need some luck as well to get teh incoming intercepted.

Comment

At 75%, not that much luck is needed.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

it´s really quite sad that the majority of players, including myself, have not experienced all the game features
          You saw what you wanted
          You took what you saw
          We know how you did it
          Your method equals wipe out

Comment

Attention spans. Mine must be going down with old age (almost mid 20s!).
            Consul.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
              Here's an OT idea for Civ4 - a siege/bombardment unhappiness that kicks in and remains as long as an invading army is stationed outside a city or is bombarding a city. This could simulate the famine and disease that has so often followed sieges through history, especially in cities with Walls (like Athens when besieged by the Spartans, or any Medieval city you care to name).
              Just destroy Food improvements and the Pop will be complaining that, "It's just too crowded.". Sure, that's a bit different (verbage-wize) than, "I just can't stand all the boulders/cannon balls/shells raining down upon me!" Technically, your idea of 'Famine' unhappines IS in the game--albeit slightly different semantics.

Originally posted by vmxa1
              . . . Now I am bummed out, I may never see that graphic.
              :'( :sniff: :sniff:

Just be patient. I'll probably have a save before too long where it will be possible for you to see it. It's a cool graphic, complete w/ sound effects and everything. Complete audio/visual splendor!!!

Steven
              "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatwreck
                it´s really quite sad that the majority of players, including myself, have not experienced all the game features
                I have to disagree. I look at it as being the case that there is always the possibility of something new happening or being discovered. For example: I avoid nukes. By that time I usually have the tech lead (or have died) and I just don't build the Manhattan Project. Ergo, no nukes in my worlds. But one time, I didn't have a definitive enough lead and while I was going for the Space race, another civ built the Manhattan Project themselves. Suddenly I am in a game with nukes, much to my dismay. As I contunued on for the spacehip I worried each turn whether someone was going to go ballistic, so to speak. I even built a few nukes myself in case that would act as a deterent. I made it to the Spaeship and got out of there beore they blew each other up. (That's how I visualized it, anyway.) I was mightily relieved and ended up enjoying the victory more because of the extra pressure. It was something new and enjoyable for its newness.

There are so many possibilities built into this game. I don't look at it as aspects of the game I ]have not experienced. I look at it as aspects of the game I have not experienced yet. The prospect and potential are part of what keeps me playing.

So, for me, it is not sadness, but hopeful anticipation.

But that is just me. And I am strange. Proud of my strangeness, but strange none the less.
                If you aren't confused,
                You don't understand.

Comment

I posted this save a while back... don;t remember what it was from.

Just after I had launched nuclear devastation on the world, and got counter-attacked by 40+ nukes, and the SDI protected against just about 75%.

It is VERY cool.

Have fun, nuke fans!! If you have it, surround sound and a subwoofer at max make for an immersive experience!

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Now that is whatI need, thanks.

Comment

Can't wait to read your reaction!
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Ok here it is. First the animation was too fast, but after a bunch of them I finally managed to get a good look.

You sure cured me of asking for any nuke runs. It was getting annoying towards the end and finally getting all the city popups before I got the final ending.

You sure had a lot of ships.
                        I liked the lighting effect more than the laser. The laser effect came after the lightinig one? I would think it should be the other way around?

Anyway you kick their butts. Did you consider runa spy to find their nuke before they launched them to try to take them out?
                        I used that once, but it was way back in the early days of CivIII and I have not done it since. It was cool to see where all the troops where located.

Comment

Sounds neat! I look forward to checking this out in two weeks. Hope the thread is still easy to find...
                          Consul.

Comment

Originally posted by eris

I have to disagree. I look at it as being the case that there is always the possibility of something new happening or being discovered. For example: I avoid nukes. By that time I usually have the tech lead (or have died) and I just don't build the Manhattan Project. Ergo, no nukes in my worlds. But one time, I didn't have a definitive enough lead and while I was going for the Space race, another civ built the Manhattan Project themselves. Suddenly I am in a game with nukes, much to my dismay. As I contunued on for the spacehip I worried each turn whether someone was going to go ballistic, so to speak. I even built a few nukes myself in case that would act as a deterent. I made it to the Spaeship and got out of there beore they blew each other up. (That's how I visualized it, anyway.) I was mightily relieved and ended up enjoying the victory more because of the extra pressure. It was something new and enjoyable for its newness.

There are so many possibilities built into this game. I don't look at it as aspects of the game I ]have not experienced. I look at it as aspects of the game I have not experienced yet. The prospect and potential are part of what keeps me playing.

So, for me, it is not sadness, but hopeful anticipation.

But that is just me. And I am strange. Proud of my strangeness, but strange none the less.
                            maybe it was a bit harsh to call it sad, but I still think it feels weird that I have played a game for several years and never even been close to research all the techs in the game. If I get to the modern age I always go for the space race victory because there really isn´t much choice (well it´s that or domination ) and you get all the parts long before you discovered all the techs...
                            You saw what you wanted
                            You took what you saw
                            We know how you did it
                            Your method equals wipe out

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                              Sounds neat! I look forward to checking this out in two weeks. Hope the thread is still easy to find...
                              It's a PTW save... go for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X