No announcement yet.

Crash before opening sequence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vmxa1 - thanks for your help, I think that will be my next step.

klyre - any resolution to your problem?
    AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

Comment

Make sure that your bink32w.dll file properly installed in your conquests folder and that race.bik is present in your conquests/art/movies folder.

I experienced a similar problem earlier today and these files were the cause. Good Luck!
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

PLATO -

Should those also be in my Civ3 folder? I don't have conquests. If they did not get properly installed in the regular installation procedure, how do I do it manually?

I sent an email to Firaxis/Atari about this, whatever I hear from them I will post here.

Thanks again.
        AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

Comment

Well just checked, both those files are there but I've no idea if they're properly installed. The 'race.bik' is 26,654 KB, modified 10/2/01 10:46 am, and the 'bink32.dll' is version 1.0w, 285 KB, modified 10/2/01 10:32 am.

Comment

MIne is newer, but I have Conquest.

Comment

Graphics card ?

Hello,

I had the same problem, but i am running windows xp, with a 32mb shared graphics card.

I changed my screen res to 1024x768, and also changed my graphics drivers.

Windows thought i had the best drivers for the card, but when i searched online, i found another version of my driver for xp. All my other games worked ok, it just seemed to be civ there was a problem with. I installed the different driver version and it worked fine.

It might be worth checking to see if there is another driver for your operating system.

michelle

Comment

simdolly - I have my screen res at 1024x768 but I will see about the graphics drivers. I don't think I've installed any programs that would change that without telling me but you never know.

Hey I just realized I can test that by going back to my old graphics card. Worth a shot I guess.

Still have not heard anything from Firaxis/Atari.

Comment

crowatbitemedotcom, You can copy and paste those two files directly from the disc.

How did the old graphics card do?

Also, have you tried a reinstall?
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

PLATO -

Thank you! Just got this fixed last night. It was the bink32 file. For some reason the one installed on my computer was a different version than the one on the CD. Not sure how that happened unless maybe it was installed in the 1.29 patch and didn't uninstall when I was trying to fix it?

At any rate I got past the opening screen and can start a new game.

Thanks again.

crow

Comment

Here is what I just heard from Atari:

First if you don't already have direct x 9 then go to www.microsoft/directx
                      and download the latest version or reinstall if you have the latest version.
                      You should download the latest drivers for your sound and video cards. If
                      you go the specific manufacture's website for these cards you they will have
                      them there.

Close all background programs for your computer Click on the Start Menu and
                      select Run. In the Run dialog box, clear any text in the open field and
                      type MSCONFIG and click OK. In the System Configuration Utility, change the
                      system to Selective Startup and uncheck Load Startup Items. Apply the
                      changes and reboot your system.

Run the game now and you should be all set.

Comment

This will just stop and app that is normally set to auto start. It may help, but I disable nearly all of those anyway.

This is the same cover you butt that all tech support does, even when you have a new system with the latest.

The game comes with the direct x version that is required.

Comment

Originally posted by crowatbitemedotcom
                          PLATO -

Thank you!

crow
                          NP

I think that the problem may be related to updating some of the art files. I quit really digging into it when I found the fix. Blew a whole Saturday afternoon on that one.

Comment

Plato, please help me.
                            I found the race.bik file and copied it over to the movies folder, but I cant find the bink32w.dll file anywhere on the disk. Could you please tell me what folder it's in or where its hiding? I've switched on the 'view hidden files' option but still can't find it.

Comment

TK-421

should be in "bink" folder from top directory off the CD

bink -> Win2k -> binkw32.dll

Comment

Thanks for the info. I must have a bad CD. the only folders I have in the top directory on my disk are ART, DIRECTX, and MANUAL. Unless someone knows how I can get just the folder, I'll hafve to see if I can get a new CD.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                X