Crash before opening sequence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash before opening sequence

I've just bought Civilization 3 and it works on my office computer. Then I brought it home and installed it. This home computer is several steps up from the office one. P4 2.8GHz, 1Gb RAM, ATI Radeon 9800, Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum EX.

Anyways, on to the problem. On running the program, the resolution changes (as I would assume) and goes black and stops doing anything. The program absolutely refuses to respond to anything. All drivers are up-to-date, including DirectX.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've had civ3 installed for almost 2 years now and just in the past month have encountered a similar problem, a complete lock up at the b&w 'Infogrames' screen. I've got a P2 400, 224MB RAM, Nvidia GeForce400MX (I know I live in the dark ages...).

I would also appreciate any help.
    AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

Comment

KeepRes=1
      Can be 0 or 1. If 1, your screen resolution is used for the game instead of the default 1024x768.

VideoMode=1280
      Can be 1024, 1152, 1280, 1600, 1792. Changes the game's resolution to the value specified (instead of the default 1024x768).

Refresh=70
      Changes the default refresh rate of your monitor. Do not change/add this line unless you are experiencing problems!

Comment

One more:

PlayIntro=0
        Can be 0 or 1. If 0, the intro movie is not displayed.

Comment

None of those lines for the ini file made any difference. The resolution still changes (I'm in 1280x1024).

Also, the crash is happening a split second after the wind sound that the game starts with... in case that means anything.

Thanks for the help.
          Last edited by klyre; January 20, 2004, 01:24.

Comment

I hardly have the speakers on, so I am not familar with that. Sorry it is not working.

Comment

vmxa1 -

where do I make these changes?

klyre -

that is when my computer hangs up too.
              AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

Comment

Add to the conquest.ini

Comment

vmxa1 -

thanks for the help, could my problem be that I do not have a conquest.ini file? All of the .ini files related to civ3 seem to be art files for the units.

Comment

I think he meant civilization3.ini.

Comment

You will only have an ini for which ever game you last played. If you have C3C and used it thenit is conquest.ini. If you only have CivIII, then it is civilization.ini.

Comment

okay thanks. I will try that.

Comment

Well changing that code didn't help.

I also reinstalled Win98, which didn't do anything either. Would upgrading to Win2k make a difference?

Comment

I don't know if this makes any difference, but when Civ3 hangs up & I crtl-alt-del to get out the Close Window shows that in addition to Civ3, Msgsrv32 is also not responding.

Comment

It should not be a factor. I would contact Firaxis.

Comment

Working...
                              X