More like:
    1 AA unit: 9%
    2 AA units: 17%
    3 AA units: 25%
    4 AA units: 32%

Assuming the AA unit is a flak.

Comment

btw, another question:

Does every AA get to 'try' to shoot down every plane, or does it become inactive after it shot down one plane?

Assuming i have 4 AA units in a city, and the enemy sends over 100 bombers in one turn. Say I shoot down the first 4 bombers, do the remaining 96 bombers have free passage or are they still subject to the AA?

Just like the Arty, once it did a defensive bombardment, it won't shoot again in that turn.

Comment

I have seen 3 and even 4 bombers shot down and the city only had Sam and 1 mobile sam.

Comment

Unlike fighter airplanes, AA units get one chance to shoot down each bomber (unless they get killed by the lethal bombardment, of course)

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
            ...this type of stuff should be documented. I don't mind if they had put it in the strat guide and made us pay, but it should be published.
            But then what would alexman do with his spare time? He'd go mad I say... MAaAaAdDd!!!

Thanx for this info alexman. Gives us real strategy with our AA.

Comment

ah your right alexman, i'm sorry, stupid me forgot an additional bracket which messed it up.

Comment

How does Stealth affect this?

Comment

No effect, but stealth units have a higher defense than bombers, so they are shot down less often.

Comment

And they have longer range.

Comment

And they look cooler.

Comment

this is really great, thanks alexman
                        You saw what you wanted
                        You took what you saw
                        We know how you did it
                        Your method equals wipe out

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                          Change stats of bombers and flak, and repeat. It doesn't take long if you switch off all animations.
                          How do you change stats? I thought every time you make an editor change you had to generate a new map or load a common scenario and editor changes do not effect saved games.

== PF

Comment

Alexman the Corruption King, now the AA Tsar.

Huzzah.

Thanks for the info Alexman.

Steven
                            "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Re: AA combat formula

Originally posted by alexman
                              • The real strength of each AA unit is 1/10th of the value shown in the editor. So Flak has a strength of 0.2.
                              • Each AA unit in the tile being bombarded takes a shot against the defense of the bombarding air unit. The chance of shooting down the air unit is A/(A+D), as with all other forms of combat in Civ3. Remember, A is 10 times less than what is in the editor for the AA unit.
                              • The maximum number of AA units that are given a chance to shoot down the plane is 4. Any AA units above 4 are ignored.

So, for example, if you want the formula for the probability of N units with a strength of A shooting down a plane with defense of D, here it is:

1 - (D / (D+A))^min(N,4)
                              Good to know that any amount over 4 is ignored. Its good it does this and its how it should be. It keeps someone from stacking an area full of AA and shooting down every attacking plane. Nice job alexman!
                              -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Thank God you discovered this alexman - if someone else had it would likely have been described in a far more complex manner! You always seem to have a knack of making things perfectly easy to understand, as well as figuring them out in the first place, so cheers for that.

BTW were there any uncertainties in your results at all? No slightly odd results? Everything is explained perfectly by your forrmula.

That would be the experimental physicist in me.
                                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                                X