No announcement yet.

Pompeii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a pointless waste of time, given it will be dumped on again.
    One OS to rule them all,
    One OS to find them,
    One OS to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.

Comment

Originally posted by justjake73
      It's a pointless waste of time, given it will be dumped on again.
      And if you automate your workers to clear pollution ?
      They'll make a beeline for the nearest volcano instead of clearing
      up your capital city

Comment

Volcanoes should act like artillery, instead of spewing pollution. In the real world, volcanoes are generally some of the most fertile areas, which is why people always live next to them.

Really big volcanic erruptions should act like nuclear explosions (sans pollution).
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Volcanic deposits do not become fertile for years (or even decades) after an eruption.

I think maybe polution that only lasts 5-10 turns would be better than no pollution at all.

Or....(!) maybe once you clear the pollution, you also gain one extra food on that tile, regardless of terrain type or previous improvements. This would encourage cities near volcanos, despite the risks (as in real life).

jon.
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Maybe it would be appropriate to mod volcanoes to produce 2 or 3 food? This would compensate for the polution in surrounding tiles, and make putting a city 2 tiles away a pretty nice spot (even if there is a small risk of decimation, although I've never seen it happen 2 tiles away).

The only problem is that, of course, the AI would always plop a city next to it.

Maybe it would make more sense if a volcano killed pop like disease for cities (and still polluted and destroyed units, but not destroyed cities) and/or destroyed improvements.

This way you'd still want to put a city there, but would have to deal with some devestating effects every once in a while.

Comment

I lost a city too, as well as some automated workers.

We need a "automatic but DON'T GO NEAR THE VOLCANO" command.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

In one of the first C3C games I played I wasn't paying attention and built my second city next to a volcano. It was a real producer and built the GL and HG. I was laughing when I saw Pompeii destroyed by a volcano. And later noticed that my cities were in revolt and no city, the volcano destroyed my wonder city. The pop-up said a volcano went off but I didn't see anything about the city being destroyed.This is also the game I learned about shift-D because later on a about 15 of my workers were killed by an eruption. I was on a penninsula with about 10 volcanoes on it.

Comment

man, that really sucks.

I guess you didn't do that again.

Comment

They're fun to watch errupt.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Hack that has got to be about as nasty as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hack
                        In one of the first C3C games I played I wasn't paying attention and built my second city next to a volcano. It was a real producer and built the GL and HG. I was laughing when I saw Pompeii destroyed by a volcano. And later noticed that my cities were in revolt and no city, the volcano destroyed my wonder city. The pop-up said a volcano went off but I didn't see anything about the city being destroyed.This is also the game I learned about shift-D because later on a about 15 of my workers were killed by an eruption. I was on a penninsula with about 10 volcanoes on it.
                        The incessant bickering between your GL scientists and your HG priests obviously PO'ed the Volcano Gods.

Harsh.
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

So I'm about to found a city between 2 volcanoes. Is this wise...?
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Not very. What do you mean between? If you look at the volc as a city center and the tiles surrounding it as part of it, and avoid those, you should be ok. Just don;t have any city tile in that area or they will blasted.

Comment

Looks like this:

vss
                              scv
                              sss

v=volcano;c=city;s=(other) squares
                              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

sss
                                svs
                                sss

City anywhere else or else lava will destroy tile improvents and any units in those tiles.

Comment

Working...
                                X