Pompeii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii?

How much damage does a Volcano do to a city? I thought it would destroy it, but an AI city has been next to one for years and it's still there, even after the lava has flowed several times.

Or maybe I just need an updated map?
    One OS to rule them all,
    One OS to find them,
    One OS to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.

All a volcano seems to do is dump pollution on one or more tiles. Since city tiles don't get polluted, nothing much happens to an adjacent city.

A bit disappointing really. The city should at least lose some population.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
      All a volcano seems to do is dump pollution on one or more tiles. Since city tiles don't get polluted, nothing much happens to an adjacent city.

A bit disappointing really. The city should at least lose some population.

In my current game I'm sure I saw a city get destroyed.

Ironically, this was the Romans and the city was Pompeii.

Comment

cities can be destroyed if adjacent, small percentage I think if two tiles away. I havent lost a city yet, have seen it happen, have lost more than a few units

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
          cities can be destroyed if adjacent, small percentage I think if two tiles away. I havent lost a city yet, have seen it happen, have lost more than a few units
          Yep, as someone said in another thread, it's pretty annoying when you have a dozen or so workers on automate clear damage at the time and they happen to be sitting on top of the volcano!

Comment

Yeah, I put a city next to a Volcano and started to worry when smoke began rising. I was having visions of Civ1 days, wondering if I hurried City Walls, would that divert the flow of lava, like it prevented flooding in Civ1?

Then, later when the lava actually flowed, it only hit a couple of adjacent tiles that I wasn't working anyway.

I was thinking about how I was going to relocate my citizens, and dreading having to rebuild improvements in my town. It wasn't anywhere near that bad.

Volcanos just look menacing--and kinda cool! They're certainly not devastating or anything like that.

Steven
            Last edited by steven8r; January 2, 2004, 13:29.
            "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Volcanos can destroy tile improvements. This can cause starving in the town.

Comment

Ironically, this was the Romans and the city was Pompeii.

I have seen that happen also. Unfortunately, I was the Romans, and Pompeii was MY city (well, just a town, really) and there were HORSES in that tile.

Comment

I've seen an AI city next to a volcano get destroyed not once, but three times. They rebuilt on the same location. It was a good tile, but...

(Eventually I razed that city and built one one tile away).
                  Seemingly Benign
                  Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

It was the Temple that prevented volcanos in Civ1, wasn't it? I always thought that was a nice touch...

Comment

volcanoes randomly put pollution on any 2 tiles adjacent tiles. anything on the tiles polluted (units, cities, tile improvements) is DESTROYED.

i saw 8 japanese archers die in my game, and now i worship the volcanoes of peace.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX i saw 8 japanese archers die in my game, and now i worship the volcanoes of peace.
                        Yeah that happened to me, I was at war with the Japanese they moved this huge attack froce to attack me, There was this Mountain Range with like 3 Volcanoces they moved on to move into my Land, the Next Trun all of the Volcanoes erpurted and took out most of the attack force, good thing I wasn't really ready to take on that big of an attack. Wish I got a picture of it.

Comment

Serious AI expolit time. The AI loves chasing easy targets, so let it's 30-stack follow you down into the bowels of the planet
                          (pity that's only a warrior you used )
                          It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
                          She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

I've seen them get destroyed.

It was actually really funny. Two AIs were in an infantry war. The Dutch took Rheims with a stack of about 20 infantry. The French took it back with a similarly sized stack. Then a second Dutch stack, coupled with the remnants of the first one, took it again. The French were beseiging it when the poor city got fried.

It was funny because the poor city got taken three times, and lost 2/3 of its people, and then got fried. But it was also funny because all the AI's efforts were futile.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Someone posted this at CFC as a text bug -- the screenie is quite funny, IMHO.

Catt
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X