Sinning in Civ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thriller
    "rape and pillage and get home in time for tea" type!
    Ahh, a civilized barbarian. Gotta love 'em.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Hmm, I doubt anything can beat saturation nuking of a city, as in turning every last land square in its radius into a puddle of orange glowing goo. Since it's wartime, the AI doesn't send out its settlers, and the city starves to the ground.
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by steven8r
        Did you Raze it, or Abandon it?

If you waited and used Leo's for upgrades, then you probably had to abandon it, unless you gave it back to them and then took it again, it which case you could RAZE it.

I'm not sure how much distinction the AI gives between Razing and Abandoning, but somehow I think that Razing is somewhat worse.
        Steven
        You are correct... but as there would clearly be majority of Ottoman citizens at the time of abandonment, I would suffer the same reputation effects as in razing.

See, I think like the AI!
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by steven8r
          One other thought:

It seems that (at least in Theseus' hands) Berzerks retain their utility well into the next age!

Pure

Steven
          Next age? Ah, Lucy, let me 'splain.

Rifles?

HAH!!

Berserks are bad-*sses.

Infantry?

DOUBLE HAH!!

3xBerserk Armies attacking from sea with Mil Academy and amphib bonus have attack of somewhere between 12-13 (depending on how rounding happens), and between 12-15 hps.

Defending Infantry will have 4-5 hps, and possibly 10 or more defense, depending on which modifiers kick in (I believe none, other than coastal fortress, which should be bombarded away anyway, and is hardly an issue).

Unstoppable until MIs?

And even THEN!! Properly softened, I'd take my chances on a 4xBerserk Army (15 attack, 16-20 hps) against a 1 hp MI.

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus (emphasis added)
            3xBerserk Armies attacking from sea with Mil Academy and amphib bonus have attack of somewhere between 12-13 (depending on how rounding happens), and between 12-15 hps.
            Is there an amphib bonus? There were rumors of an undisclosed amphib bonus in Civ and PTW which proved to be untrue. And then there were comments / hints that at the very least amphib bonuses were explored for C3C -- but I've never seen any definitive statement nor any test posted. Have you confirmed that there is a bonus in C3C?

Catt

Comment

Hmmm... not totally confirmed, but I could swear I saw somewhere that it is 25%.

And to repeat for the umpteenth time, we do not done what defense modifiers are in effect during an amphib attack.

(So, yeah, color me *optimistic* about amphib attacks... let me have my dreams. )

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                And to repeat for the umpteenth time, we do not done what defense modifiers are in effect during an amphib attack.
                We know of some. Back in the day of "On the Use and Utility of Marines" I did test whether city defensive bonuses (+50% for City and +100% for Metro) applied to amphib assaults and confirmed that they did apply -- the defensive modifiers for fortified unit and terrain also applied (I did not test walls). I had heard that either: (1) walls gave no defense bonus against amphib assualts; and/or (2) there were no City / Metro defensive bonuses against amhib. I never tested walls, but the conventional speculation about defensive bonuses for city size seemed to me to be disproved.

Probably worth a test in C3C to explore the possibility!

Catt

Comment

Defending Infantry will have 4-5 hps, and possibly 10 or more defense, depending on which modifiers kick in (I believe none, other than coastal fortress, which should be bombarded away anyway, and is hardly an issue).

Actually, defense 15 if they're fortified

Comment

Re-testing is a must... I'll try to do so over the coming weekend.

Back on topic:

The reason I posted this thread was the guilt and dismay I felt at doing what I did.

Anybody else got horror stories?

Comment

No such stories I can recall, but we are not going to ever let you forget this, Theseus.

How can you live with yourself?
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

The worst thing I ever did was declare war on a friendly nation to seize a resource that it didn't know it had, because it was too primitive. I have to say I'm utterly feeble in this game. I have never, ever razed a city or deliberately starved one, and I hardly ever use the whip. I try to rule in an enlightened and benevolent manner and to treat the peoples of all nations with respect and harmony. Then I get wiped out by the Zulu.

Comment

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...al#post1473776 (near the end of the post)

I don't really feel guilty about it though... it was just for testing and documention purposes!

Moonsinger has some very interesting stories on the subject of this thread. (nuking her own cities to make flood plains )

Comment

Good to see that Theseus and I have the same playstile
                            The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus

Next age? Ah, Lucy, let me 'splain.

Rifles?

HAH!!

Berserks are bad-*sses.

Infantry?

DOUBLE HAH!!

Unstoppable until MIs?

And even THEN!! Properly softened, I'd take my chances on a 4xBerserk Army (15 attack, 16-20 hps) against a 1 hp MI.

Well, Berzerks are unstopable in (some) human hands. I recently played as Japan and the Scandies were my neighbors. They had a nasty habit of putting towns in spots that I'd already selected AND having more techs than me. Fortunately they had no Iron! I sent-in my Swordsmen vs their Spears, Archers, and Berserk and... well, they're now extinct.

Berzerk are VERY good at attack, but kinda sucky on defense. Of course, every one of my Swords that was attacked by Berzerk died, but that just left a (sometimes) wounded (almost always) defenseless Viking Target for my stack o' Swords to demolish. Fortunately the AI doesen't understand the intricacies of Amphibious Assault!

So, are Berzerk Armys Amphib? How about combined Berzerk/Marine???

Steven
                              "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

It's not in the same league as what Theseus did but in a PBEM game I recently abandoned my (size 12) capital which I could no longer defend in order to deny an opponent the Hanging Gardens.

Sorry Alva.
                                Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                                X