Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scientific Leader at 1830 BC. Which Wonder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientific Leader at 1830 BC. Which Wonder?

Playing as the Byzantines (Scientific, Seafaring)

Pyramids? Temple of Artemis? Or save for Sun Tzu's?

Temple of Artemis looks the best to me. I think I am on a continent but still have a ways to explore..so I am not sure how much space I have.

What do you think is best?

PYRAMIDS!!!

Pop is power. Growth is good. Be fruitful, and multiply.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Pyramids!! What Arrian said!!

My first Conquests game I received an SGL on my first tech at around 2700bc or so. Saved it until I could get masonry and rushed the Pyramids. Bam, huge expansion!

Comment

BTW I am playing on Emperor so happiness can be a problem.

Still think I should build Pyramids?

Comment

Yes.

Happiness is manageable. The luxury slider works really well. Or just build more workers (never a bad idea).

Why do you want Artemis? Happiness? Bah, the damn thing goes obselete in the middle ages (Theology?) and *poof* your temples disappear. Culture? Build libraries, you're scientific.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Being very new to Emperor, I'd have to agree on the Pyramids. On Monarch I'd probably save it for something else(since they're so rare), but growth and expansion is the key, I think.
            "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

The Temples go *poof*? In that case Artemis is a very weak wonder. I guessed that existing temples stayed but new ones wouldn't appear when it went obsolete. I haven't used it so i guessed it would be that way. So much for that wonder then.

Comment

Got any ivory?? Or, can you trade for it??
                Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

No Ivory. I would think pyramids would be a better rush than Zeus anyway..especially at 400 shields vs 200.

But the Ancient Cav is nice no doubt.

Comment

I agree with Arrain as long as you do not have a civ that it will trigger a GA. The only ancient SGL I had and got excited and rush the Pyramid and boom a GA. I would not have done that if I was paying attention. I may have done it, but would have waited for a few more cities and mines.

Comment

Pyramids Pyramids Pyramids
                      This is a chance to have your entire civ grow at an unrivalled rate. Extra growth = extra food/resources/commerce = even more growth
                      It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
                      She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

Pyramids = Food Power.

No brainer.
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Artifex
                          The Temples go *poof*? In that case Artemis is a very weak wonder. I guessed that existing temples stayed but new ones wouldn't appear when it went obsolete. I haven't used it so i guessed it would be that way. So much for that wonder then.
                          Pre-patch, Artemis wiped out your existing temples when built so that not only did it stop working at (education?) you lost any you had built prior. As of the 1.2 Beta your existing temples remain after Artemis is obsolete.

But even pre-patch, I found it incredibly useful when playing the Mongols. I would conquer a town and that town immediately began generating culture. Within a few moves, it had expanded, greatly facilitating my conquest.

Artemis was the huntress, eh?

[ok]

Herodotus' Seven Wonders, by the way, were: Pyramid, Lighthouse, Library, Zeus, Artemis, Mausoleum and Colossus.
                          [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Comment

Whoa, with the BETA, Artemis-Temples remain?

Pyramids AND Artemis then...

(I can dream)
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                              Whoa, with the BETA, Artemis-Temples remain?
                              Nope - they disappear. Some reported that manually-built temples, completed before Artemis, also disappeared when Artemis expired, which would seem to be a full-fledged bug, but apparently that has been addressed by the 1.12 BETA patch.

Catt

Comment

Working...
                              X