demanding cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• demanding cities

i've started an emperor, 31civ, 200x200 map, playing as the mayans (raging barbs means lots of free workers). i've got a great starting location with enough cattle to have a 4-turn settler pump and bring out an additional warrior every 2nd turn after producing the settler.
    so i've REXed a lot and am no. 1 by area and population.

i had forgotton that i had settler-bopped china several turns ago and was still at war. after about 10 turns mao contacted me and wanted peace... and was ready to give me 3 of his 6 cities!!! they all were just size 1 or 2, but still it gave a big dent in china's growth.

as next i declared war against all civs with less than 2/3rds of my power and demanded cities from them after some turns of fighting-less war.

now i've got 15 highly unproductive, far away cities which never will be useful, except maybe in communism. they won't grow beyond size 2 (starvation and unhappiness stopping them) and are affecting my corruption, because of the OCN.

what should i do? keep them? disband them? give them to civs from the other side of the world so that they suffer corruption? or should i hang on to them and wait for communism? or even wait for flight, build airports and have and effective way of transporting my troups out there (at 200x200 distances are very far)?

anyway, this strategy may be considered as exploit, but it's highly effective on the power graph. the more cities i get by demanding, the more other countries i can demand from. all it costs is losing the possibility of a diplomatic victory.
    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

I preferred it when it was nearly impossible to get a city from the AI. Now you can often get one or more. I got one from two wars yesterday and I just abandoned them. My whole point was to reduce the number I would have to take from them to eliminate them, not gain any cities from them.
    One was on a small island and could not be reached yet.

Comment

Yeah you can get a few if you catch them at the right point where they have lots of small cities.

Comment

Hang onto the cities if you can protect them with sufficient ease. If nothing else, you'll get support points and area coverage score out of them
        It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
        She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

The AI hasn't been giving me any cities. How do I increase the chance?
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

The A is more likely to givre you size 1's, ones with foriegners in and ones on their borders (not necessarily with you. See if you can get those...
            Oh yeah, smack them a bit in war first. Not necessarily viciously, just do enough to prove to the AI you can kick it into next week
            Then, demand the cities in the peace deal. This - AFAIK - is the ONLY time you can ever get cities off the AI (without using troops directly )
            It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
            She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
              The AI hasn't been giving me any cities. How do I increase the chance?
              You need to beat on them for a long time and take a number of cities before they are receptive. It seems if you refuse to talk to them on their request for peace then hit them again they are willing to give a city or two. I got two from Hammy at size 5 each after I busted his capitol each time he moved it (3 in all).

Comment

Cruel. Thanks.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1

You need to beat on them for a long time and take a number of cities before they are receptive. It seems if you refuse to talk to them on their request for peace then hit them again they are willing to give a city or two. I got two from Hammy at size 5 each after I busted his capitol each time he moved it (3 in all).
                  Nevertheless, AI civs give away far too few cities when faced with the possibility of total extinction.

Rather die than surrender???

A complete population?

AJ
                  " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                  - emperor level all time
                  - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

dp

Comment

well, actually that's quite real-life. leaders tend to not surrented for that would be worse than defeat. i can't think of many dictators giving up before their country was overrolled...

Comment

I understand your perspective on giving up a city or two, but it should be put back to the level of spear beats tank. So rare that most of us will never see it. As it is now, you just get them too easy. The AI will never get any cities from you.

Comment

Does the presence of resources affect the AI decision making?
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Yeah they wont give you even a size 1 city with a luxury. Earlier on you could even 'guess' the cities that would later have resources appearing by seeing which ones the AI would refuse to give you for no visible reason. I'm not sure if that is still the case in C3C though.

Comment

Unless there is a long term strategic benefit - as a jumping off point eventually to grab a source of otherwise unavailable luxury or to deny a nearby civ some critical resource, say - I abandon such cities.

If you don't there is a sort of compulsion to rush various improvements and it is too much hassle repeatedly to resist the temptation.

Comment

Working...
                              X