Civ3 Gold has painfully slow multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 Gold has painfully slow multiplayer

My and my wife just purchased Civ 3 gold and have been playing it on our home TCP/IP Lan, and whether we play "Turn Based" or "Simultaneous Move", each unit takes about 3 seconds before it responds to its command.

It's come to the point that the game has become unbeareable to play due to the excessive amount of time needed to simply move units around.

There is also a delay when selecting items such as cities.

When playing a regular single-player game, everything runs smoothly.

Both systems exceed the reccomendations.

Nothing is wrong with the LAN - works normally with every other game.

My guess is I would have to play around with some .INI file in the civ directory.

i'm having the exact same problem, with my lan games. We have 3 computers hooked up and it runs so slow, 2 seconds after a movement command has been issued, it carries it out !!

Comment

same here

I even did LAN performance tests and got 94.6 MBit between
      both computers.

Did you try the special fast MP scenario which comes with 1.12?
      I hoped improvement - but it doesn't work. I get a 'Out of synch message detected. Saving synch file ...' :-(

have a nice X-mas,

Jochen aka kind

Comment

- I've E-mailed Atari about this issue, but haven't heard from them yet. I've also tried using direct IP to both machines and it still has the same result.

It seems that the game continues to to be in a ready state even when the game is turn based. I mean, all you are doing is moving pieces, and when your turn is done those piece movememnets and results get sent to the other player.

It's basically just like Civ 1, but with improved graphics - I really don't see why there's such a lag.

Anyhow, I'll try playing around some more with other options to see if I can get this speed thing fixed. But man, what a letdown.

Comment

Tried some more tests, this time with 2 1.5gzh laptops, and lo and behold, the SAME THING - albeit the pause between the moves is less noticeable.

I can't believe it.

This is a game that uses nothing but tiled .PNG files and small .FLC animations. It's not DOOM 4.

It **SHOULD NOT BE THIS SLOW, PERIOD**

The screen scrolling SHOULD be as smooth as a baby's butt, instead it's about as chunky as a baby's diaper rash.

Anyhow, I still haven't heard from Atari despite sending them three e-mails.

In any case, I hereby nominate CIV3 for "most bloated code" in 2003.

Comment

just want to join the fray.

another victim of the bloated code.

Comment

I also have the same problem with Civilization 3 Gold Edition.

Comment

They'll probably want us to buy another expansion pack on top of PTW just so that we can have resonable multiplayer

Comment

Working...
                X