No announcement yet.

C3C deletes PTW extras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this is resolved soon, because it's frankly rather terrifying to think I might have those units deleted if I install C3C. I've spent a lot of time adding them into the game!

Of course, most of that time was spent updating the @#$%! .txt files and the editor, but still...
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

A safe workaround if you have the extra HD space is to do what I did with my second computer.

I made a copy of the PtW folder as Old PtW. Then, I installed C3C on that computer. This way, I can move the missing files from the Old PtW file into the regular PtW folder. Since I am on a LAN, I can also use this folder to copy into the other computer's PtW folder.

Another workaround would be to have a Goback program or restore point before you install C3C.

Comment

So if I go out and buy conquests (I dont have PTW), I might as well also get a copy of PTW? I haven't played civ in like a year and a half

Comment

No you don't need PTW (you do need Civ3 vanilla).........some people are just worried about the possibility that when PTW is patched up to the most recent version by the C3C installer some modified files may disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
            No you don't need PTW (you do need Civ3 vanilla).........some people are just worried about the possibility that when PTW is patched up to the most recent version by the C3C installer some modified files may disappear.
            I'm not as concerned about any custom/modified files as much as I am about the extra unit graphics/animations and terrains that came with PtW, and which many mods take advantage of. I very much hope that the .../Civ3PTW/extras/ folder is not deleted when installing conquests...anyone else who had a normal PtW install care to check to see if everything is still in those folders after installing conquests?

Comment

Originally posted by RobC

I very much hope that the .../Civ3PTW/extras/ folder is not deleted when installing conquests...anyone else who had a normal PtW install care to check to see if everything is still in those folders after installing conquests?
              Windows XP Home edition with prior PTW installation fully patched. My extras folders remain untouched.

Catt

Comment

Looks my extras folder is OK too, not that I ever use it.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Excellent info Gobi Bear! Thanks!

So long...
                  Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                  Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                  Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Originally posted by Gobi Bear
                    BreakAway games developed the Installshield scripts for Conquests.

We do not DELETE any PTW files from your disk.

However, unless you have the GOLD version of Civ 3, which is guaranteed to have Civ3 and PTW patched to the latest patch, we DO go ahead and reinstall PTW on your machine.

So if you had any mods that CHANGED ORIGINAL PTW FILES, those mods will be overwritten by the original files. The extra content (the user-made files that came with PTW and the special units made by Firaxis) will not be touched however.

You can see why we have to do it this way. Conquests depends on graphics and text files from both Civ3 and Play The World; we want to make sure you will have a working Conquests game after the install is complete.
                    Sorry Gobi but that is just not true. Just got C3C and the Dinos from PTW are now gone.

To clarify - I did uninstall Civ3 and PTW, the reinstalled Civ3 and C3C. I no longer have my PTW CD, and I miss my dinos.
                    Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
                    Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
                    I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

Give me your mail and I'll send them to you if you want.

( better even send me a mail first in case I forget, the button next to "profile" should do )
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Amesjustin

To clarify - I did uninstall Civ3 and PTW, the reinstalled Civ3 and C3C. I no longer have my PTW CD, and I miss my dinos.
                        The point is that the C3C version of PTW does NOT include the extra stuff. By deleting your previous copy of PTW and installing just Civ3 and C3C clean you got PTW in the process, just not any of the extras since the C3C doesn't install them anyway. There is nothing abmormal about this.

Of course, why it deletes stuff on others' computers is still a mystery.
                        A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

I'm lost here. I want to continue to use the watercolor terrains. When I install C3C they will still be there provided I do nothing to the currently installed PtW?
                          Sorry for the dumb question but I'm somewhat tecnophobic and you're all over my head.
                          "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_S
                            I'm lost here. I want to continue to use the watercolor terrains. When I install C3C they will still be there provided I do nothing to the currently installed PtW?
                            Sorry for the dumb question but I'm somewhat tecnophobic and you're all over my head.
                            I'm kind of lost too. The only reason why I want to know for sure is because of watercolor and snoopy terrains.
                            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Surely the relevant data is small enough for you to just copy it before installing C3C. Then, put it back after the install.

Comment

You might have trouble loading the modified terrain since they do not have the graphics for the new terrain and thus might end up a bit screwed up in-game. You should try finding the C3C versions of those graphic mods.
                                A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Working...
                                X