Any complaints about Conquest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kind of figured out the hall of fame.

pressing the o button (lower right) brings you to another screen in the hall of fame. It would have been nice if that was clearer. But now I know it makes no difference.

So far, I like the scenarios.

Comment

Is it me, or is there no civil war scenario.

How can you have a civ game with no american civil war scenario?

Comment

I forgot my biggest complaint

lack of sleep

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
          It is hard to say. I don't know if they are trading or getting free tech from being first. Some civs are way behind, some are doing fine.
          Maybe someone running a debug game can speak to that.
          Sheesh in my current game (Emperor) I discovered the latter 1/3 of the the IA and entire MA first, yet I still didn't get a SGL. I wonder what the probability is of getting one?

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

Agreed, Dissident. I normally don't care too much for scenarios, but a Civil War one would kick arse. IIRC there was a good one for Civ2 that I really enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
              1A. US also at war with Germany; off map resources of the US assumed to be going towards European front (Remember that the US decieded upon Germany first.)

The fact that is Japan had won Midway won have led to a reallocation of production that was headed to Europe to the Pacific instead until that is resolved is outside the scope of a scenerio focusing on the pacfic.

1B. Duh, US cities on the west cost in the 1941 weren't well developed, especally compared to the east.

1C. Historically accurcute. UK was if anything withdrawing units from that theatre in 1942.

rest of 1: No comment, haven't played the conquest yet.

2. There is a multi-player version of the conquest and it does have accel prod on.

3. Build them yourself if you want them. I think that having very few worker units in Dec 1941 is historically accurate for the US. The CBs had to be mobilized (represented in the game by building them) as well. As I recall, the Roman Legion UU can build roads in that conquest.
              1. The actual resources of the US were split approx 50-50 vis-a-vis the respective theater, however only 10-15% of the US is shown (and as you point out the LEAST developed part). San Francisco was the MOST developed city on the west coast but it is the one city lacking a factory? Finally the entire Atlantic fleet (3 Carriers, 8 BB & 15 CA as well as numerous destroyers) are not even depicted in the game even though most of these ships played major (several even critical) roles in the Pacific war (only the Carrier Ranger and the Battleship Arkansas remained in the Atlantic for the entire length of the war. )

Finally most ships were built on the east coast and were sent to the pacific via the panama canal; including every Fleet Carrier and every Battleship serving in WW2. And to top it all off the US has to research Amphibious warfare even though the US marines have been conducting amphibious invasions since the Mexican-American war. As for the Brits they are historically modeled but an unsatisfactory option to play

On whole I am simply unimpressed with the design, the scope, the flagrent inacuracies and the absurd play of the scenerio, the only way this scenerio could be fixed is to completely overhaul it, which, despite my desire to do so, I lack the modding expertise for.

The comment on wokers is related to all scenerios, sure I can build them, but most of the scenerios are designed as a unit production game with too limited means to roduce them adequately. Most scenerios have 10-12 cities, but less than 5 workers. In games that I play I build at least 1 worker per city, and usually many more. Then the tiles that have already been worked have usually been done poorly and have to be redone.
              * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
              * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
              * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
              * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Traelin

Agreed, Dissident. I normally don't care too much for scenarios, but a Civil War one would kick arse. IIRC there was a good one for Civ2 that I really enjoyed.

Just as long as its done right, but if its done like the WW2 pacifc scenerio the map of the north would stop at southern pennsylvania and would have about 4 or 5 tiles railroaded with 2 workers

Comment

I agree on production. Reno is the biggest mineral city!!

Reno was nothing back then. It still is nothing. It has a naval air station nearby (not sure if it was there in ww2).

SF should be #1. San Diego should be decent, followed by Seattle.

I would have liked to see Las Vegas on the map. Not only because I live there, but because we did have an air force base (used for traning mostly), and Henderson did supply war materials for the war effort. And of course locating the Hoover Damn there would have been nice.

Comment

I agree on production. Reno is the biggest mineral city!!

Reno was nothing back then. It still is nothing. It has a naval air station nearby (not sure if it was there in ww2).

SF should be #1. San Diego should be decent, followed by Seattle.

I would have liked to see Las Vegas on the map. Not only because I live there, but because we did have an air force base (used for traning mostly), and Henderson did supply war materials for the war effort. And of course locating the Hoover Damn there would have been nice.
                    Problem with Vegas is that it was a hick town in the middle of the desert until the mob (a portion of it anyway) got ran out of NY in the late 40's and early 50's. Believe it or not the next most productive city in the west (after SF & Seatle) during the 1940's was Salt Lake City ( of course that isn't shown either)

Comment

well I wasn't saying it would be a productive town. But there is room on the map for it I believe. Just barely- though some city squares would be cut off. There certainly would be no factory. Only a library, marketplace, airport, and temple.

Comment

Neither Civ1 or Civ2 came with one, so it looks like that's how!
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

ahh but the first civ2 expansion had one.

Comment

The bonus CD has a civil war scenario, though I haven't looked at it. The scenario was provided by cdgroup.org if you don't have the bonus CD.

Catt

Comment

My main complaints are: 1. From what i can tell you can no longer trade maps with other countrys like in the original civ3
                              2. Seems like none of the new wonder show up in the city view
                              3. Seems like resources are really scarce compared to the original civ3

Comment

Sigh another bug in the map editor. All the overlays (barbarian huts, irrigiation, mines etc) but not rivers have disapperared from all my maps. They're there, but they are invisible in the editor but not in the game.
                                "It is not given to man to know what is right and what is wrong. Men always did and always will err and in nothing more than in what they consider right and wrong."

Comment

Working...
                                X