Civ3 Conquests' Missing Civ!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 Conquests' Missing Civ!

As I looked at the new features in Civilization 3's latest expansion, something came to my attention. Perhaps this has already been addressed, I don't know.

But I noticed that while Play the World provided 8 new civilizations, Conquests only provided 7, for a grand total of 31 for the whole game.

Why not a 32nd civilization? Why didn't they create an 8th civ for Conquests? Or did they originally have one in mind and then decide not to put it in at the last moment?

So the questions I'm proposing are:

Was there a 32nd civ or not?
    If there was, what was it?
    It there was not, what should it be?

Personally, I feel that the Assyrians would make a good civ. If they had originally planned on Assyria, it would make sense that they dropped them, having Babylon, Persia, Hatti, and Sumer already. Perhaps they wouldn't want to have three Mesopotamian civs in an expansion.

I don't know? What are your thoughts? Has anyone from Firaxis, Infogrames, or Atari ever made a statement on the lack of an 8th civ. in Conquests?
    Last edited by Alexander I; November 7, 2003, 13:18.
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Was there a 32nd civ or not?
    If there was, what was it?
    It there was not, what should it be?

There is. The 32th civ are the barbarians.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Apparantly Austria was developed as an 8th c3c civ and appears on c3c disk but is not part of the c3c presentation. Some think it is an Easter Egg, some say you have to delete another civ to make Austria appear. By now someone should have posted the leaderhead...

Comment

Austria? Interesting. So why weren't they included. Hmm. And who would the leader be? Empress Maria Theresa? Emperor Franz Josef?

Give us AUSTRIA!
        "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
        "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
        The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

32 is the limit without redoing the game engine. And as stated before, the Barbarians are #32.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Charles V. Check this thread

for more info.

Comment

Oh, and WHY did they choose to limit the game to 31 civs and put Austria in the files to taunt us? Why can we not simply add Austria?

The Barbarians are 32? They actually occupy a whole civ's slot? That's ... interesting.

Charles V, though. Good choice.

Comment

Some civs will be in special scenarios only. Who knows why they picked 32, other than it is a nice even multiple of 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
                  Oh, and WHY did they choose to limit the game to 31 civs and put Austria in the files to taunt us? Why can we not simply add Austria?
                  Play around with the editor. I'm sure there is a way to add Austria by removing another civ.

Comment

Of course you can add it by removing another civ. My personal choice would be to remove Iroquois. (Seriously , I hate affirmative action civs.)

But my personal preference would not be to remove another civ for it. I would hope that there could be a way to add Austria without losing another civ as a result.

Comment

Of course, this thread would be incomplete without the inclusion of a picture of the fabulous Austrian leaderhead throughout time.

So here he is, in all his splendor:

Charles I/V of the Austrian/Spanish/Hapsburg Empire
                      Karl V of the Holy Roman Empire/Austria
                      Carlos I of Spain
                      Attached Files

Comment

Whoops! I forgot to mention... is there an Austrian UU?
                        If so, what is it? Does anyone have a picture of it?

Comment

yes, i believe they have a cavalry UU. the game is hardcoded to 31 civs for memory purposes, and they simply could nto add a 32nd civ into the default game without major changes to the code itself. it's not like they just wrote the number 31 down and can change it easily.
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Cavalry, eh?

What sort of cavalry unit would the Austrian/Hapsburg empire have?

Does anyone know what it's called? Any picture?

Comment

I believe it's the Hussar, as shown in this pic:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X