How does this slavery thing work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does this slavery thing work?

I have seen notes that the Maya Javelineers (or whatever) plus maybe some other units, have a chance of enslaving a unit they attack, including Barbs.

What exactly does this do? I know it gives you a worker, but is it an inefficient yet free slave worker belonging of other nationality or is it a genuine worker from your own civ?

And how does the enslavement process work? Do you have to successfully attack to enslave? Can you get promoted in battles where you enslave the opposition? Is there any units that can't be enslaved?
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Enslavement works this way:

- You attack with a unit that has "enslave" ability
    - If you win, you have 1/3 chance to get a unit specified in the editor (for javelineers, it means you have 1/3 chance to get a worker)
    - Workers are slaves whose nationality is from the defeated unit. You can even have Barbarian workers.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

You can even have Barbarian workers.
      Kick ass! Do you know this for a fact?
      A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Faboba

Kick ass! Do you know this for a fact?
        Yes
        "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Units that have enslaving capabilties can choose if fighting or try for enslaving or is it automatic ?

Gunter

Comment

Cheers Spiffor. Did you get this from the game itself or am I just being lazy and missed a few threads where this info was posted?
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunter
              Units that have enslaving capabilties can choose if fighting or try for enslaving or is it automatic ?
              Automatic with every attack. If you win you kill the unit 2/3s of the time and enslave 1/3 of the time.
              Seemingly Benign
              Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                Cheers Spiffor. Did you get this from the game itself or am I just being lazy and missed a few threads where this info was posted?
                Catt mentions enslaving barbs in his "Best UU" thread.
                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Is there a complete list of all the units with the Enslave ability?

Are they all UUs or are there some available to all civs?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    You can even have Barbarian workers.
                    That is truely awesome. Anyone remember slavery in the CTP series?
                    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

HOLY ****!!! I figured the Mayan unit was so-so at best, given my hatred of despotic GAs. But the special enslavement ability extends to Barbs, and a 2/2/1 unit is one of the best Barb killers around. So it becomes worth your while to invest some shields in those Javelineers.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

This may cause me to reevaluate the civs I may want to play in the Team DemoGame.......

Comment

Well, it *does* cost 30 shields. That's nothing to sneeze at in the early game, when slave barb workers are most useful.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            HOLY ****!!! I figured the Mayan unit was so-so at best, given my hatred of despotic GAs. But the special enslavement ability extends to Barbs, and a 2/2/1 unit is one of the best Barb killers around. So it becomes worth your while to invest some shields in those Javelineers.
                            They are excellent barb hunters. When the end-of-era barb uprising comes, it's "worker farming" time. 2 Javs encountered eight horseman -- result was 2 elite Javs and 4 barb workers In another instance, 1 Jav encountered 4 horsies -- result was promotion and 3 barb workers . . . before the 4th horsie killed the Jav and slaughtered its newly domesticated cousins.

An additional pair of observations on the enslavement: (1) you can enslave even when your unit is defending (i.e., being attacked); and (2) you can generate both a unit promotion and an enslaved worker from the same victorious combat.

I am seeing something curious with worker speed, however. My industrious natives complete roads on flat terrain in 2 turns; slave workers need 6 turns (rather than the expected 4 turns) -- this appears to be true even with non-barb slaves (i.e., traded-for workers from another civ).

Catt

Comment

So slaves now work at 1/2 speed of non-industrious workers, regardless of whether or not the slaveholding civ is industrious.

Road for normal worker: 3 turns
                              Road for industrious worker: 2 turns (50% bonus)
                              Road for slave: 6 turns

Makes a certain amount of sense. I'd always wondered why industrious civs got more out of their slaves...

But it is another hit on the industrious trait.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X