Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 3 Conquest -- Flat map?

Hello

I am dying to know if the 9 scenarios in C3C are going to be on flat maps?

I used to play Roman maps in old Civ 3, and had seen Egypt attacking Spain by "going east around the world" ...... very annoying.

I trust C3C has taken care of this problem! Can anyone tell me?

Also, what are the 9 scenarios? I've never seen a complete list of it. I know about Mesopotamia, Rise of Rome, Middle Ages, Japan Shogun, South America, Age of expansion, Pearl Harbor. What are the other 2?

Regards,
    Raymond

Raymond.Pun@mensa.org.sg

In the FAQ, it says:

What are the Conquest scenarios?
    Unlike the Epic Game, each Conquest scenario focuses on a specific period of history, such as the Rise of Rome, the Middle Ages, or the Napoleonic War. Each Conquest has its own map, tech tree, specialized units, playable civilizations, and victory conditions. Several Conquests include predetermined starting city and unit placements so that you are placed immediately into the action.
    So, you missed the Napoleonic Europe one.
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

You also missed 'Fall of Rome' which completes the list.

Edit: Also, as for the main question - seeing as the current build of the editor ( can't remember if it's due to PTW or a patch but as far as I remember, the former ) already supports flat maps I'd seriously doubt the good people at Firaxis would be daft enough to put round maps in their scenarios. The only exception to this would be 'The Age of Sail' which I'd imagine is a full world map.
      A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Faboba
        The only exception to this would be 'The Age of Sail' which I'd imagine is a full world map.
        The 'age of Sail' plays on a map of the Atlantic. Even Europe doesn't figure in its entirety there.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

PTW allowed flat maps, and C3C includes PTW, so they will all be on flat maps.
          Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

The 'age of Sail' plays on a map of the Atlantic. Even Europe doesn't figure in its entirety there.
            So much for the colonies in India, the West Indies and China then....

Off the subject slightly - I'd be more interested to find out if they've corrected the irritating flaw in the maps at the moment. If you are playing on a map which fully stretches to the top and bottom of the grid you can't actually see - in the former case - the city names and - in the latter - the bottom one and a half squares. Hopefully someone at Firaxis has noticed it...

While we're at it a 'clear map of resources' feature would shave hours off my game set-up time.
            A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Off the subject slightly - I'd be more interested to find out if they've corrected the irritating flaw in the maps at the moment. If you are playing on a map which fully stretches to the top and bottom of the grid you can't actually see - in the former case - the city names and - in the latter - the bottom one and a half squares. Hopefully someone at Firaxis has noticed it...
              Yeah, that is irritating.

Comment

See the developer update for the Age of Discovery Conquest.

They had too much trouble with the AI's wanting to colonize Africa & the far east instead of the New World when they tried the whole world, and so downsized the map so the European AIs basically had no choice but to colonize the new world.

So much for the colonies in India, the West Indies and China then....

While we're at it a 'clear map of resources' feature would shave hours off my game set-up time.
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                  See the developer update for the Age of Discovery Conquest.

They had too much trouble with the AI's wanting to colonize Africa & the far east instead of the New World when they tried the whole world, and so downsized the map so the European AIs basically had no choice but to colonize the new world.
                  The way it _should_ have been then. No americans, and everyone´s happy! still, there would be native americans... what a silly thought

Comment

That's a shame. Rather than fix the problem with their AI and have the scenario play as it was dreamed up they just downsized the scenario so it worked with the old AI from Civ3 and PTW. You would think they could have balanced it to provide for an interesting mix of African, Asian, and American colonization.
                    For your photo needs:
                    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

To teach the AI what to do in a scenario like that would have been an immense sinkhole of time and resources.

Comment

However, I've seen there is the African shore in the Age of Discovery. Don't the European powers colonize Africa?
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Flat maps have been possible since PTW.
                          Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            However, I've seen there is the African shore in the Age of Discovery. Don't the European powers colonize Africa?
                            My guess is that Africa won't have any colonizable land (The land literally isn't allowed to be settled)

Either that, or only the coast, because the interior of Africa wasn't settled by Europe. But any settling of Africa would probably take away from the point of the scenario.
                            Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

My guess is that Africa won't have any colonizable land (The land literally isn't allowed to be settled)
                              and they couldn't incorporate this idea in a world map?
                              Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Working...
                              X