No announcement yet.

Civ3: Conquests has Gone Gold!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should have sent them a copy with your leaderheads. That'd given it at least one more star.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by JimMac

Actually,- I think I would prefer a 'Breakaway' (or even an Atari) chat, considering their involvement.
      Merepatra of Breakaway and Jeff from Atari were at the chat along with Firaxis.

I think a few other people showed up too.
      Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XXIV
        Merepatra of Breakaway and Jeff from Atari were at the chat along with Firaxis.
        * Vovan looks around for an announcement of this past chat, puzzled *
        XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

This one

Hey. Are the logs from the latest Firaxis Chat going to be put up like the last couple were? And if they are, do we have any kind of ETA on them? Thanks. ------------- Edit by TF: Chat logs now posted to the main site: Edited: http://www.civfanatics.com/chat/chat92303edited.shtml...
          Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

This one

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=64635
            Ah, gotcha. Thanks.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

can someone explain me what "gone gold" actually means?

i know that the civ3 gold version includes PTW and all the newest pathces, but what's the big deal?
              - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
              - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

"gone gold" refers to the point that a game(any game) is finalized and ready to be sent for "print"
                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

ah... so it has nothing to do with the "gold" version which some games sometimes have

thanks
                  - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                  - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

I think the term started because the master CDs which are sent off to duplication used to be gold in color.
                    Seemingly Benign
                    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

They really should do them in watercolour, shouldn't they.

-
                      Aren't there silver and platinums too?
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

40%

What 40% mark?
                        Yeah, "40%" sounds scary, doesn't it? In actuality, it was "2 out of 5 stars," and the magazine "reviewed" 201 games, many of which haven't come out yet. But, it's no secret that every reviewer is entitled to his or her own opinion. Also keep in mind that the lead time for most U.S.-based print publications is at least 2 months. For instance, PC Gamer's very positive preview of Civ Conquests just appeared, but we visited with them over the summer.

We are just sending out copies of the final game to editors, so you'll be seeing a few online reviews shortly, and print reviews to follow perhaps in some January and February issues.

Best,
                        Jeff Foley
                        Atari

Comment

Game reviews are like movie reviews. you need to know they reviewer. If they have similar likes as you, then you may take heed. Even that does not work 100%. I have a friend for more than 35 years and we have very similar taste, but he hated CivII, so what can you say?
                          Any game that I really have an interest in such as C3C, Mooanything or Warlords or Homm, I am going to get it reguardless of anyones comments. Ok, I got burnt on Moo3 and midly singed on Homm4. I still have to do it.

Comment

industry terminology

Originally posted by WarpStorm
                            I think the term started because the master CDs which are sent off to duplication used to be gold in color.
                            Ding ding ding! Give that purple tentacle a cee-gar. They were in fact on special gold CDs before "our scientists discovered CD Burning future tech #1"...

Gone Gold = released to manufacturing. Also called "RTM"
                            Launch = shipped from Atari's central distribution to stores. Some software companies call this "FCS" (First Customer Ship). Some stores receive the game directly. Others go through distribution centers that may delay the game's appearance for a week.

I fully expect some North American stores to have Civ Conquests in stock on November 4th. Call ahead, though... would you believe that many stores don't carry more than 5-10 copies of any given computer game (and sometimes only 1 or 2).

Best,
                            Jeff Foley
                            Atari

P.S. There's no naming consistency after "gone gold" and launch, but you'll sometimes see:
                            Game of the Year Edition = base game plus goodies
                            Special Edition = base game plus more goodies in a premium package
                            Gold Edition = base game plus first expansion pack
                            Deluxe Edition = base game plus several expansion packs (sometimes called Platinum Edition, not to be confused with an Xbox Platinum title, which is the equivalent of a PlayStation "Greatest Hits" title -- a best selling title at a reduced price.... confused yet?)

Comment

Well, we can expect Deluxe Edition next year.

Can we?

Comment

How about a deluxe edition with a certain number of copies containing a coupon for a free worldwide ticket to anywhere so we can encounter other "civilizations" first hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X