How comes scenario's are so slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How comes scenario's are so slow?

In some scenario's take turns a very long time, this while I don't have that problem in the normal game. I have a P IV with 3GHZ and 512 MB DDR so that can't be the problem. Is there any way to solve this problem or are scenarios just slow in civ3?

Scenarios are very slow. The loading time depends on the number of cities and units to be created on the game start (compared to a savefile the scenario holds mush less data, and most data has to be generated at start up, compared to a save which holds almost everything that is in ther memory while the game is running)
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Scenarios aren't slow, Civ3 is.
      Military Research and Simulations Initiative

Comment

The actual loding time is slow on huge scenarios. But playing them makes no difference.

Comment

I have found that on some large scenarios, during gameplay, it can take 20 minutes between turns and that is with the AI searching turned off in the .ini. Its just no fun.
          Question Authority.......with mime...

Comment

Wait a minute.... I have a 1.2 GHz machine and I have to wait for up to a minute between turns later on in realistic Earth maps that fill up with tons of cities.

Are you guys saying that even if I get a 3GHz machine, the time between turns will NOT change? Oh my GOD!

Comment

It will get faster, but you will still ahve a little wayt depending on thenumber of units and cities the AIs have.

Comment

it can take 20 minutes between turns and that is with the AI searching turned off in the .ini.
                how is this done, and what else can I put in the .ini file?
                Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus

how is this done, and what else can I put in the .ini file?
                  The latest patch has a command line in the ini file , something like AIPatrol. If you set the number to 1, then the AI won't send it's troops around and around in circles, doing nothing in particular but wasting time.

Comment

Shouldn't you set AIpatrol to 0 and the default value is 1? Or is the setting NoAIPatrol?

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                      Shouldn't you set AIpatrol to 0 and the default value is 1? Or is the setting NoAIPatrol?
                      Maybe, I'm just going by what I've read here. I don't actually have the latest patch, so I don't know even know exactly what the line says.

Comment

and how much does it help? are the effects only marginal, or does it make a real difference?
                        Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus
                          and how much does it help? are the effects only marginal, or does it make a real difference?
                          I suspect that it makes a big difference, though I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. In a game I had a short while ago, the Spanish had this mass of troops circling around and around in this city radius near my borders. It took quite awhile before they were finally finished wasting my time.

Comment

What consumes loads of time is the AI re-establishing the trade connections of and between all available civs. Ergo; lots of resources and possible trade combinations seems to be a major problem: The larger the map; the more civs on it; and the more different resources- the larger the AI time-gap..
                            S.P.R.I.N.G cuz "W.I.N.T.E.R" doesn't login for some strange reason, and there is apparently already a copycat called S.U.M.M.E.R online, and I really needed a certain file right away and couldn't wait, and the house was on fire and the dog died, and the children were crying- and anyway... I got no excuses!

Comment

well it's not too bad on my old P3 700. Even on the Rise of Rome scenario with over 200 units.

And I still haven't turned of showing enemy move animations. it takes a while to watch all the other civs galleys move past my field of vision.

Even with that my turns seem to be under 1 minute (though I haven't timed them)

Comment

Working...
                              X