Question about tourism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about tourism

I've seen in one of the screenshots (the one with the Statue of Zeus) that certain wonders can become a tourist attraction. What does this mean exactly?

I can only guess that when the wonder becomes obsolate (or maybe only in the modern age) it starts generating money as well, not only culture.

So my question: Is this it or there's more?

There could be so much more! Tourism is nowadays one of the most important industries.

Tourism is the world's largest industry, with an annual revenue of almost $500 billion. And it is growing fast, with airline arrivals expected to double by 2010.

Leisure is estimated to account for 75 per cent of all international travel. The World Tourism Organisation (WTO) estimated there were 693 million international tourist arrivals in 2001. They are expected to reach 1.6 billion in 2020. Domestic tourism (people going on holiday in their own country) is generally thought to be 4-5 times greater than international arrivals. The WTO puts global revenue from tourism in 2001 at 463 billion US$ in 2001.

Globally, tourism accounts for roughly 35 per cent of exports of services and over 8 per cent of exports of goods (WTO). In 1995, 11 per cent of the global workforce - over 200 million people (predicted to rise to 340 million by 2005) - were directly or indirectly employed in tourism (International Labour Organisation - ILO).

The World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) predicts that the tourism industry in the EU will expand to 22 million jobs representing 13 per cent of total employment by 2012. These figures would make tourism the world's largest employer and arguable it's largest business in terms of income.

For 83 per cent of countries in the world, tourism is one of the top five sources of foreign exchange.

from an article from http://www.peopleandplanet.net posted in june 2003

So, my point was that civ3 could contain much more tourism than just obsolate wonders. It would be both realistic and entertaining for an otherwise quite boring modern era.

For example:
    - tourist attractions should be not only obsolate wonders, but also certain terrain types and/or resources, like ivory, exotic birds, volcanoes, beaches, etc, that would generate extra trade bonuses in the modern era;
    - some existing or new city improvement would increase your tourism income (airports, hotels, amusement parks) (=>one extra gold from tourist attractions)
    - a "Disneyland" small wonder would boost (double?) the tourism income in all your cities

Some other factors should also influence your tourism income; for example, wars in your country should stop all kind of tourism income; some governments (like facsism) shouldn't generate tourism gold.

I don't mean something complicated, nothing to increase micromanagement; but these are very simple ideas, IMHO.
    Last edited by Tiberius; September 19, 2003, 02:50.
    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
    --George Bernard Shaw
    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
    --Woody Allen

... and the screenshot
    Attached Files
    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
    --George Bernard Shaw
    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
    --Woody Allen

Comment

Judging from what I heard, it creates bonus commerce (+25% I think?!) I know it is not a TRULY accurate reflection of the power of modern tourism, but I'm VERY happy 'cause it is one of the things that Civ Fans have been crying out for, so it shows that they ARE listening to us !!!

Comment

A very nice idea indeed !

Gunter

Comment

Tiberius, just click on the link "Tourist Attraction" for the description ...
          Darn! Have to wait another 5-6 weeks to do that. Sometimes I will open a full-size screenshot and try clicking something as if it's the real game.
          Last edited by Jaybe; September 19, 2003, 17:57.

Comment

woo hooo!
            that might help motivating me in building wonders which get obsolete (great wall, oracle, etc.)
            - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
            - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

I wonder if their needs to be certain advance before Tourism takes effect, or if the effect gets doubled at some point (Like Wealth)
              Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Perhaps it needs 1000 years?
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I'd guess for a certain advance (tech). It should be one of the techs that gave people the possibility to travel easily, so steam power (railroads) would make sense.
                  --George Bernard Shaw
                  --Woody Allen

Comment

There were people flocking to Great Wonders long before the industrial age.
                    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

But how significant was that? Enough to boost the local economy? I don't really think so. How many people had the possibility and the desire to actually travel weeks or months to see a great wonder? Maybe a few dedicated explorers and adventurous aristocrats, but other than that?
                      I believe that trains like the "Orient Express" opened the road for mass tourism. Of course, I might be wrong, but this is how I see it.
                      --George Bernard Shaw
                      --Woody Allen

Comment

well... tourism needs wealth. and general wealth started developing (in europe) during the industrial age.

so yes, maybe steam power (as the trigger of industrialization) could be seen as the beginning of tourism.

before that i guess the only tourism was pilgrimage (the oracle and other mystical/holy sites)...

Comment

What about pilgrims? To places as Mecca and such? They'd certainly boost the local economy.
                          Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

i believe pilgrims are already incorporated in the game: the culture points.

don't forget. pilgrims are usually hardcore believers of any religion. they aren't there to spend their money...

Comment

Originally posted by sabrewolf
                              i believe pilgrims are already incorporated in the game: the culture points.

don't forget. pilgrims are usually hardcore believers of any religion. they aren't there to spend their money...
                              actually religious tourism is/has been a huge boost to many cities (mecca/jerusalem/etc.)

but i agree with you that it would be too much to cover in-game with new mechanics.

one thing that should be cool was if wonders built by dead civilizations generated more tourism.

Comment

Working...
                              X