Who should get these traits ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sabrewolf
    americans could just as well get industrious or commercial, depending on which era is represented.
    Perhaps. Or Commercial, Agricultural. There are a few different possibilities for America in my mind. However, I believe that if a civ like Germany isn't industrious, America shouldn't be either, since typical German people actually have a better work ethic.

english (as i said in the post before) could also be expansionist (1/2 the world map was coloured red.... which btw should be their colour in the game, but that's not the topic here ).
    True. But it wouldn't make that much sense England NOT being commercial. And since a vastly powerful navy enabled them to control that much of the world map, Seafaring seems like a more appropriate option for England.

spain could have militaristic and aswell expansionist (they grabbed most of south america and the majority of central america)
    It wasn't entirely through military achievement that Spain conquered most of Central and South America. They had far superior weapons, and diseases that the native populations hadn't been exposed to. Smallpox is what killed most of the resistance to their occupation. Not their swords or arquebusiers. But then again, they did fight for generations to reclaim their lands from the Moors prior to Columbus' expedition. However, using their occupation of the Americas as an example of 'military achievement' isn't the best way of getting that point across.

And it wouldn't make much sense not making them Religious, since they did enact the Inquisition in both their homeland and their colonies for hundreds of years. Even today, most Spaniards are devoutly Catholic.

basicly, it looks like you've taken away the expansionist of all civs
    If Expansionist were to get axed, I'm shedding no tears for it. Even if I do think it should stay. Agricultural and almost makes this trait a bit redundant since the main point was to get granaries quickly (so as to expand quickly). Since Agricultural features cheaper granaries, what little use for expansionist's starting tech is gone. While expansionists get scouts and better results from goody huts, its not exactly a game winner.

But I still think to be as historically accurate as you can be in this game the Americans, Russians, Zulu and Mongols still deserve the trait.
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I don't think the Mongols were Scientific, I just ran out of room

How about:

Mil, Sci: Hittites, Germans
      Mil, Agr: Zulu
      Mil, Rel: Aztecs, Celts
      Mil, Ind: China
      Mil, Com: Rome
      Mil, Sea: Vikings
      Mil, Exp: Mongols
      Sci, Agr: Sumer
      Sci, Rel: Babylon, Mayas
      Sci, Ind: Persia
      Sci, Com: Korea
      Sci, Sea: Greece
      Sci, Exp: Ottomans
      Agr, Rel: Iroquois
      Agr, Ind: America
      Agr, Com: Byzantine
      Agr, Sea: Portugal
      Agr, Exp: Russia
      Rel, Ind: Egypt
      Rel, Com: India
      Rel, Sea: Spain
      Rel, Exp: Arabs
      Ind, Com: French
      Ind, Sea: Carthage
      Ind, Exp: Incas
      Com, Sea: England
      Com, Exp: Japan
      Sea, Exp: Portugal
      Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Except for yurts, specific saddles and bows, what exactly did the Mongols invent ?
        I think the Mongols are the archetype of the Militaristic Expansionist civ, being Nomadic and hellbent to conquest
        Actually there archtype Expansionist/Agricultural...

But Japan...why Commerical? Its only within the last 50 years they've been commerically motivated....not really a time period you should draw on for giving an overarching drive....they were'nt expansionististc except for claiming korea and during the 20th century....

Agr/Mil seems the best fit...but even that i'm not comfortable with.

Agri/Ind...japanese were among the more open of the eastern nations...i just can't seem commerce though....................
        Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
        Mitsumi Otohime
        Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

Well, Byzantine have to have religious as a trait. Probably the biggest dominant factor of the Byzantine Empire was the Orthodox church. What's this suggestion of "Agri/Com" ? Rubbish!
          Religious/Com or Rel/Seafaring. (Consider the UU is a BOAT)

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I think Rel, Com or Sci, Com fits Byzantine really well. But I need traits for India and Korea.

I think Spain is a good Rel, Sea

I don't think they are Agr, Com but I ran out of places to put them

I don't think Japan is agricultural. I always thought they depended more on fishing than on farming
            Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Now that i think about it...i think Agri should be dropped entirely for Japan...they really weren't ever known for being an agricultural nation in any reguard....more fishing...

I'd say Rel/Ind is best...the current model Rel/Mil isn't good because they never were much of a militaristic nation except during Meiji Restoration, and only then starting about the time of WWI...less than 1/8 of the game turns...

Also China should not be military...never were they militaristc nation...even today i'd say they really weren't militaristic any more than any other nation of their size and power would mandate...

Industious....its debatable....China has had a long history of wanting constant rather than change...far longer than Mao's vision of an industrious china...sure chage does come, but chinese nation is slow to bring change until its required.

Agri/Rel is imo best for china...chinese emperors were always broken when their agriculture...and the Chinese way of life has always been rooted in religious and philosophical tenats.
              Last edited by Lord God Jinnai; September 3, 2003, 14:20.
              Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
              Mitsumi Otohime
              Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

When CIV 3 came out I started to experiment with each Civ having 3 traits, but with each CIV having half of the available traits I gave it up as not being practical. With the two new traits I will have to revisit this idea as I am not satisfied with CIV's limited to two traits.
                * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
                  When CIV 3 came out I started to experiment with each Civ having 3 traits, but with each CIV having half of the available traits I gave it up as not being practical. With the two new traits I will have to revisit this idea as I am not satisfied with CIV's limited to two traits.
                  hi ,

with 31 civs in the game , three traits does change a lot , .....

it leads to better gameplay , .......

you can also let some civs start with certain free techs , .....

since you can do this for each era , this leads also to a better game , ......

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

China should definately keep its militaristic stat. Ever heard of Romance of the Three Kingdoms period? China has been at war in one form or another for virtually its entire existance like 3000 years rofl.

Comment

What will be the benefits for the Agriculture & Seafaring traits?
                      Agricultural recieves a bonus food in its City square.
                      and Agr gets extra food on irrigated desert
                      Seafaring ships increase movement by 1
                      agricultural also gets cheaper aqueducts, recycling plants and solar plants.
                      Does seafaring always start near the coast as well? Didn't remember if that stayed in.
                      And if the Agr city tile is next to water the despotism penalty doesn't apply to its food
                      Searfaring locations is "usually" on the coast, but not always, a much increased chance
                      Seafaring also get decreased sinking chance, and city built along the coast receives a commerce bonus in the center city square
                      Also cheaper docks and harbors
                      cheap harbors... mmmmm =)
                      (source: CFC - chat, edited version)

imho argicultural sounds like an extremely powerful trait, somewhere in the region of industrial.
                      - no despotism penalty if city is near water, makes cities destined for rexing. the only disadvantage is that OCP or similar concepts might be broken (until now the only disadvantage was that the aqueduct had to be built)
                      - a bad start on a dry map (desert) is like starting with loads of plains (2f, 1s)
                      - cheaper aqueducts

seafaring seems good and can be great for human players on coastal maps (more successful suicing galleys)

your impressions?
                      - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                      - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Some traits I think should be but do not know.:

Americans: Com/Ind
                        English: Sea/Exp
                        French: Arg/?
                        Japan: Rel/?
                        China: Arg/Sci.
                        Last edited by Du_Chateau; September 26, 2003, 02:15.

Comment

I'm thinking the America will almost certinately be Agricultural/Industrial.

We're #1 in food produced. And look at all those late industrial and mordern ear wonders in the game that America actually built.

I think we'll also keep the F 15 UU, if nothing else, switching to an earlier UU is likely to make America way too powerful.

Yes, Seafaring + Expansionist seems to decribe Victorian era England very well.

I think France is most likely to remain Commercial + Industrial.

I think Religious + Seafaring would fit Japan well.

On China, I see it most likely remaining Military + Industrial.
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheik

quote:

I won't tell you how many you got right or wrong but one hint... Sumeria aren't expansionist

I assume you are testing Conquests?
                            Merepatra works for BreakAway Games. Apolyton really should give her a special label or something... it's great having her come visit now and then.
                            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                              I'm thinking the America will almost certinately be Agricultural/Industrial.

We're #1 in food produced. And look at all those late industrial and mordern ear wonders in the game that America actually built.

I think we'll also keep the F 15 UU, if nothing else, switching to an earlier UU is likely to make America way too powerful.

Yes, Seafaring + Expansionist seems to decribe Victorian era England very well.

I think France is most likely to remain Commercial + Industrial.

I think Religious + Seafaring would fit Japan well.

On China, I see it most likely remaining Military + Industrial.
                              Why would the japanese be seafaring? When were they good at it? They were barely able to sail until China or Korea, and they never felt comfortable on sea. The samurais were fierce warriors on the land, not on the sea.

Mil+Rel just fits them so well. The whole feudal era (which I consider the golden era for Japan) was based on military classes, Samurais and Daimyos and their bushido code.

Otherwise I agree with your choices, maybe with a few exceptions:
                              - the French; but honestly I wouldn't know what traits to give to the french.
                              - the English: I'd think Seafaring + Commercial would fit the better (but seaf+exp makes sense, too)

China will most likely remain mil+ind, to allow for the Great Wall to trigger their GA.
                              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

On Japan and seafaring, I was mostly thinking about Pearl Harbor, and how powerful the Japense fleet in the Western Pacific was from 1938 to mid 1942.

And the combo of Military + Religious is currently overrepresented.

On the Wonders, I imagine the Great Wall's traights won't change, but I wouldn't be surprized if some of the others did, particlary Pyramids, Great Light House, and Magellan's.

On France, the main reason I think they'll stay Commerical & Industrious is that it's their traights in original civ. (Commerical & Seafaring describes Holland at it's peak much better than France & England.)
                                Last edited by joncnunn; September 26, 2003, 17:11.
                                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                                Templar Science Minister
                                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                                X