Poland as a new civ in Conquests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heresson
    Your mistake is that You forget that Enigma secret was broken in Poland BEFORE the war started (1933 or so), and in 1939 two ready machines were sent to Britain and France.
    That makes no sense if true. I'll have to research it.

Originally posted by Heresson
    Imagine the war in Afghanistan without the Northern Alliance....
    How about with?

Originally posted by Heresson
    Yes, Soviets suffered huge losses, because they could afford that, like cleaning minefields by infantry marshes....
    Sad but true. The Soviets had an amazing disregard for human life. I heard they would send minority units foward followed immediately by KGB units to ensure they don't run away. The troops fought on because they were more afraid of the KGB. Despite all that, I believe the Germans killed more Soviets than the Soviets did (at least during the war).
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by panag
      hi ,

still not one single act of what the polish air force did , .....

they did ZIP , why , cause they where put to pieces before they could take off , ..... and since they had almost next to nothing that you can call " air force " , .....

have a nice day
      I heard the Polish Air Force lasted a day and the army a week. The rest of the month the country went into denial. That and the calvary battles were German tanks vs. Polish horsemen. I was hoping one of our Polish friends would elaborate.

I remember reading an inspiring book in the late 70's about the Israeli AF, written by Yael Dayan I believe (yes, I know who her father was...). On a visit in 1985, while I was in the USAF, an Israeli gave me a set of IAF wings.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278

Mostly because WWII (officially) lasted about six years in Europe, a very small amount of time on a Civ scale. Perhaps it would have been better if I said "Using WWII as the only argument on including Poland".
        Well actually it was just in Europe. It was also in Africa, Asia and country's from North America and other such places fought as well.

Comment

I heard the Polish Air Force lasted a day and the army a week. The rest of the month the country went into denial. That and the calvary battles were German tanks vs. Polish horsemen. I was hoping one of our Polish friends would elaborate.
          Myths... all myths created by German propaganda during WWII
          I recommend visiting two interesting websites:

Fall Weiss: september campaign - Poland 1939
          (especially for interested in armor vs cavalry aspect of the war but not only that, also detailed timeline of the campaign)

Polish airforce in WWII
          (I reccommend "The Myths and Misconceptions about the PAF in WW2" and "Battle of Britain" sections)

Comment

Thats not very nice either. Same could be said for almost any invention.
            almost... imo the real inventors are guys who did somethink many years before [Galileo, Da Vinci, our Copernicus...] or guys who invented many, many inventions [Eddison]

Originally posted by Vince278 You just refuted your own argument.
            well, Im sure of that what have i said. I know it from 2 different ways [discovery channel and my historian] so it must be true.

Originally posted by Vince278 Everyone defended themselves (even Poland) but some were more successful than others. The UK didn't have an army landing on their shores but they were getting hammered by planes and missles. The Soviet's huge population suffered huge losses. I also wouldn't call the Allies efficient but the odds were greatly in their favor.
            remember that we were alone, and uk and su not... Its also very important...

Originally posted by Vince278 Mostly because WWII (officially) lasted about six years in Europe, a very small amount of time on a Civ scale. Perhaps it would have been better if I said "Using WWII as the only argument on including Poland".
            perhaps you're right... but it was only example. im not good in history, the best age which i know is the II WW... its the only historic era which interests me...

Originally posted by Vince278 1. How long did the Air Force in Poland last as an effective fighting force?
            well, not long. Our air force was even in 1.09.39 very small... i don't remember neither the amount of planes nor time, I'll check it if you want...

Originally posted by Vince278 2. I heard a large part of the Polish calvary was actually horse calvary instead of tanks. Is this correct?
            it depends. We didn't have "normal " cavalry. We used horses to move fast from one point to another. During the battle polish soldiers fought without horses. It wasn't cavalry, rather "horse infantry" . And we had over 500 tanks... i know it wasn't many, but we had them too.

Comment

• i checked the amount of planes - only over 400, many were technologically backwards. i couldn't have found the time of air battle in Poland, but i'll try somewhere else...

Comment

• Well, Los planes were good.
                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                Middle East!

Comment

• very good - one of the best in the world, but majority of polish air force wasn't in half as good as losie...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gen8

Myths... all myths created by German propaganda during WWII
                    I recommend visiting two interesting websites:

Fall Weiss: september campaign - Poland 1939
                    (especially for interested in armor vs cavalry aspect of the war but not only that, also detailed timeline of the campaign)

Polish airforce in WWII
                    (I reccommend "The Myths and Misconceptions about the PAF in WW2" and "Battle of Britain" sections)
                    hi ,

the polish av page is a bit blown out of proportion , ....

they forget to mention fo one or the other reason that lots of planes had recieved to spare parts for years and where standing on the ground doing nothing , .... yet they fail to mention that on the site , .....

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                    X