Some problems ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some problems ...

For a new scenario that I am working on (which is very close to completion) I am having some very odd problems:

First of all, the create unit list box will not come up. If I try to create a unit, the game automatically creates the unit in the settler spot under the control of the human player. At this late stage the error is not yet crippling the design of the scenario, but it might cause some problems later.

Second, I am having a problem with unit transmutation. You read me correctly. For some reason, any given unit periodically turns into the unit in the extra land spot. As far as I know, this only happens to computer controlled civilizations. I managed to turn this "bug" into a "feature" by making the extra land unit something useful, but it is still a very odd occurance.

Lastly, the ChangeTerrain action is not working correctly. Most likely, it is something I messed up on.
    For the maprect parameter I use the order
    Upper Left-Upper Right -Lower Right -Lower Left. Does this order change when I am only changing two adjacent tiles?

If you need to see the files in question I will probably post the scenario as a beta either today or tomorrow in the Scenario League forum.

Thanks in advance.
    "If you are not confused by quantum physics, then you haven't really understood it." -Niels Bohr
    "The true test of your character is what it takes to stop you." -Dr. Bob Jones Sr.

Are you sure the "transmutation" isn't just a graphics issue (with the sprites overriding the bitmaps)?

About the ChangeTerrain, I think you got the order correct. But make sure the X and Y coordinates are only even, even or odd, odd.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

First of all, the create unit list box will not come up. If I try to create a unit, the game automatically creates the unit in the settler spot under the control of the human player.
      This sounds like the current default civ for creating units has no techs that are preqs for units (or all are obsolete?). The engine, given no choice, reverts to the first slot. If you edit the civ's techs, temporarily, to allow it to build at least one unit, I think the problem will go away.

A similar thing happens if when the human player has no unit preq techs and conquers a city. Given no legal unit to build, the engine sets the city to build the Settler slot unit.
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Boco: I in fact did make all units obsolete, so you probably diagnosed my problem correctly.

As far as unit transformation, how about, rather than releasing it later, you look at it now. For the most dramatic results, play as the Eagle King, reveal the entire map and end your turn.
        Attached Files
        "If you are not confused by quantum physics, then you haven't really understood it." -Niels Bohr
        "The true test of your character is what it takes to stop you." -Dr. Bob Jones Sr.

Comment

Hello? Has anybody looked at my scenario?

Comment

Yes. I didn't notice anything, except that as the Eagles I had to wait a long time before any eagles were announced, yet none appeared. BTW, there was a legitimate 'change terrain' event. Some squares in front of Thorin's Gate changed to ruins.
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Thanks. Two questions: 1) Are you having the same problem I am having with all of the AI units turning into Wolf Riders? and 2) Do you know where I can get a more consistent set of terrain and unit graphics? The map seemed to me to be a bit of an eyesore because of the differences in shading between certain tiles.

As far as the change terrain event goes, the problem is that after a certain period of time, passes in the mountain are supposed to open up and allow orcs to attack them from behind. Not all of those work. Lastly, do you know why the eagles aren't appearing? Thanks in advance.
              If anybody else has (constructive) comments and suggestions, feel free to mention them here.

Comment

If my burnt-out mind is not mistaken you have an illegal maprect:

@IF
                Turn
                turn=10
                @THEN
                Text
                Suddenly, from the mountains, a terrible cry is heard! The Elves, Men and Dwarves look
                ^towards the cry in dismay, for the Goblins have found hidden passages in the mountains
                ^and are assaulting them from behind!
                EndText
                ChangeTerrain
                terraintype=0
                maprect
                Flag
                who=Goblins
                flag=00000000000000000000000000000001
                state=on
                continuous
                @ENDIF

At first glance, you may have some more illegal maprects.

E.g. instead of

maprect

try

maprect
                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

OK, I'll check that out.

I think I'll post my graphics requests in the speculative graphics forum. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Any luck?
                    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Not really, I haven't had time to examine it well. I'll post as soon as I have something.

Comment

Working...
                      X