Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any ideas how to make this game more popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any ideas how to make this game more popular?

I bought this game back in 1999 and basically was introduced again to the joys of civ2. I wonder if theres a way to bring more attention to this gem. Theres more capabilities with this game but lack of interest for people to play I assume has killed it.

Maybe a letter to infogames to make it freeware or something as i'm sure there not making any cash off this game now or include it with Civ3 would of been great.

How about the community here. Any ideas how to increase the popularity with this system?
    Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

What's the difference between TOT and Civ2? I have Civ2 and the fantastic worlds expansion (which I never used).
    Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

many people found the graphics a little dodgy

Yet another game that Hydey paid full price for but does not play anymore.
      The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

its a graphics update, 4 side by side maps, improved scripting language (actually they made really good improvements to the language), animated units, new scenarios (actually 1 big 50 mb scenario if its still available somewhere on the internet) and i think thats it. Theres small improvements but its still civ2 with little improvements.

Thats why they should make it FREEWARE.
        Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

Does it include multiplayer?

I have Civ2... but I thought you had to get Civ2 Gold for MP...
          Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

Originally posted by FNBrown
            Does it include multiplayer?

I have Civ2... but I thought you had to get Civ2 Gold for MP...
            ToT can be played multiplayer, BUT... only with other ToT players. You can't play ToT MP with someone who has MGE. And the MGE players seem to greatly outnumber the ToT ones.
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

We could always start a ToT PBEM?
              Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

Try scenarios. ToT was made for the scenario maker. Try my Russian Civil War scenario "Red October", here: http://www.tecumseh.150m.com/ I'm also just about ready to release a made for multiplayer ToT scenario called "Roman Civil War". Keep an eye on my site for it. I'll be running a 7 player playtest pretty soon, so check the PBEM forum for that.

The best ToT site with a number of scenarios is the Cradle of Civilziation, here: http://coc.apolyton.net/ It has replacement graphics and a great tips section. Also, Mercator is almost done a sprite editor for ToT, which will allow the creation of new animated units for the first time. (The lack of such a tool was, IMHO, one of the main reasons ToT failed to become as popular as it's predecessors)

One way to increase ToT popularity might be to organize some PBEM games. If people made some very simple scenarios using the Fantasy or Sci-fi games and used them to set up some PBEMs, I think you might find a few people dusting off their old CD's and reinstalling ToT.
                Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I'd be willing to join a ToT scenario PBEM
                  Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

You got it! I'll be in touch.
                    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Techumseh, I've just reinstalled my old and dusty copy of ToT in anticipation of the Roman Civil Wars PBEM. Do I need to patch it for multipayer?

EDIT: oops - I just noticed the multiplayer button on the main screen

I've patched to v1.1 as well
                      Last edited by fairline; December 14, 2002, 05:25.
                      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Blimey, there's 18 extra unit slots! I wish I'd known that before I started my FW scenario...
                        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

i wouldnt mind it being free. i will tell you that...

Comment

Id be in the pbem game to pluse it might help to improve the games imige if there was a civ group for tot
                            Blessed Be

Comment

Originally posted by Civfan
                              its a graphics update, ....Theres small improvements but its still civ2 with little improvements.
                              Hi, just wandering around from other forums of this site...

Buying CivToT was the biggest mistake in my gaming life.
                              I found myself to have actually bought 3 replicas of a game identical to the one I already had (CivII), except for the edited graphics and items names...
                              I installed it, made a 30' tour thru it, uninstalled it and shelved it.
                              I should have seriously considered to resell it, but I'm too lazy.
                              I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Working...
                              X