A study of Hut Outcomes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by War4ever
    STYOM appreciate the answer....however that theory is false, too many times a hut right next to the city radius produces barbs.... and i always play with the grid on

and i use MGE ....
    You got me there, then... I have tested this too and never get barbs from a square adjacent to a city radius... but then, I'm playing 2.42 and SP (I gather most of your games are MP). My own tests produced the same lack of barbs, and same 3:1:1 ratio, as samson's.

Since this isn't a communication issue, I'll step back and let the man himself answer.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

What determines the number of barbs created (1 v. 8)?

This is getting to be a long thread, so I hope I didn't miss an existing answer.
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
        ok....heres one..... if the safe zone as you say is 3 squares from the city....woudn't that mean a hut one square away from the radius would not produce barbs?

yet i have had many barbs within this area?
        You're not understanding the distinction between "squares away" and distance.

Distance is a concept used throughout Civ2 and figures in the calculation of bribery costs and caravan delivery payments among others.

In determining the distance between two points, tiles sharing an edge are a distance of 1; tiles touching at a corner are a distance of 1.5. There have been many posting in the strategy forum over the years talking about 'distance' and how to calculate it.

While most of the tiles adjacent to a city radius square are at a distance of 3, some are at a distance of 4 and thus are not in the barb-free zone. These squares are the ones which are 2 corners and an edge from the city square: 2 x 1.5 + 1 = 4. (As with all Civ2 math fractions are dropped, e.g. 4.5 = 4).

By the way, the notion of a city radius itself is defined by the concept of distance. A city radius is all squares at a distance of 2 or less from the city center. That's why the corners of the square are excluded, they are at a distance of 3.

Comment

Essentially using hexagons is more intuitive, but they didn't want civ to look boring, so you have to adapt your thinking when it comes to distance.

Comment

Samson,

I'm late to this party, but I just want to say how impressed I am with both your research and your presentation. Both are first-rate.

I don't recall any mention of this thread being linked to the Great Library. It certainly deserves to be. I'm going to "nominate" it in the Great Library discussion thread.

Great work!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
              What determines the number of barbs created (1 v. 8)?

This is getting to be a long thread, so I hope I didn't miss an existing answer.
              I don't know. I didn't finish testing barbarian results because there seemed to be a lot of info out there already on barbs. If no one replies here, I may look into it.

Campo - thanks much.

Comment

I dont think the GreatLibrary is being kept up anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant
                  I dont think the GreatLibrary is being kept up anymore...
                  Somebody must've discovered Electricity.

Comment

Sharp......very sharp.

Comment

ok thanks for explaining guys, sorry i am a bit daft sometimes....

as for games, i play sp sometimes these days, but most mp....though i played alot of sp in my day
                      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

In my latest game, I have a confirmation to your 8 city nomad rule. Shortly after my 8th city was founded, I got a second nomad on a continent where I had a nomad from a previous hut.

Comment

Solo,

Thanks.

By the way, I thought of a good way to exploit the STYOM corollary to the continent rule. Before founding your first city, locate a few huts on nomad-suitable terrain using any mercenary units you have acquired. Then found your first two cities using both original settlers and tip those huts immediately afterwards. Since you now have a city founded and no nomads, you can get nomads. And since the hut algorithm doesn't yet know you have cities on that continent, you have a 47% chance of nomads on that turn. Next turn it drops to 20%.

Comment

Originally posted by samson

Somebody must've discovered Electricity.

If someone has discovered Electricity, I bet it must be samson or a friend of his.
                            Therefore, samson must be held responsible for the GL not being kept up any longer
                            Last edited by La Fayette; December 15, 2002, 11:51.
                            Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Samson,

Great tip, thanks!

I have actually done that in the past without knowing that the odds were much better in my favor, just figuring I got a little lucky. Now I'll be more prurposeful in trying to time this, but will probably be rewarded by a barb outcome, instead!

Comment

Originally posted by samson

By the way, I thought of a good way to exploit the STYOM corollary to the continent rule. Before founding your first city, locate a few huts on nomad-suitable terrain using any mercenary units you have acquired. Then found your first two cities using both original settlers and tip those huts immediately afterwards. Since you now have a city founded and no nomads, you can get nomads. And since the hut algorithm doesn't yet know you have cities on that continent, you have a 47% chance of nomads on that turn. Next turn it drops to 20%.
                                I wonder why the game doesn't recognize a city being built earlier the same turn for purposes of the continent rule... but does notice a city being built the same turn for purposes of the no-city rule. Because if you found a city and tip a hut the same turn, barbarians can appear.

I'm sure that means something, but I'm not sure what.
                                "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Working...
                                X