X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Another point concerning rules

Originally posted by SlowThinker
    .......So I want to propose
    a) to forbid city bribing completely.....
    Hmmm. It seems there's an Achilles Heel in the "small city size" strategy!

I haven't played enough PBEM to forecast the problems that may result from city bribing, but hopefully the high cost of diplomats (and absence of spies) will keep things under control. (Others are certainly welcome to weigh in on the discussion.)
    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Originally posted by Kull
      but hopefully the high cost of diplomats (and absence of spies) will keep things under control.
      I think the high diplo cost is irrelevant with bigger cities...

It seems there's an Achilles Heel in the "small city size" strategy!
      A 10-sized city distant from the capital costs 500 gold... That's not a very high price.

Another problem is diplomats may be hidden in ships. If a ship arrives to your city, you never know if it is full of caravans or full of spies.
      Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• King Mandaru's policy of specific tasks for each province reaches another milestone with the completion of a center for training of the Assyrian armies. The exact location of this center is a secret known to few, but once the armies that have been trained here will spread throughout the empire to guard its borders, many families will hear the stories of their sons about the magnificent city in the wet lands, fed by a clear river and boar to hunt i the forests nearby. A seizable town nearby, located near the swamps will provide for the food and resources needed to feed and equip the fine young Assyrian men, ready to serve their King and country.

We bring great news to our Hatte neighbours, as a group of slaves is readying themselves to march into Hatte lands in a decade or so.
        Elsewhere, we face some trouble with Hittite scouts, as they now block the Moabites travel west. It seems this band Spearmen is cursed by the gods of the Salty Lake, for their journey home is filled with obstacels. We ask of the Hittites to do everything in their power to ensure this blockade by their Skirmishers is lifted immediately.

On the shores of Lake Van, settlers from Nineveh have build a settlement at the foot of the Stronghold of Van. The citadel is completely cut off, and the evil occupants confined to their fortress. In due time, well trained armies with seige-equipment will subdue the Barbarians, and claim the region for Assyria. For now, Assyria controls the countryside, and the golddeposits in the mountains will provide much work and wealth for those shepherds who have grown tired of the laborous travel to lands on the other side of the citadel.
        Attached Files
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• city bribe

While for some scenario's city bribe is forbidden, others are especially designed to allow for it

City bribe is a pain in the butt, and cities are usually relatively cheap, especially if you have a large garrison in them. But obviously it cuts both ways, and IIRC, bribing your cities back is much cheaper

and I think their should be plenty ways to make city bribe a difficult operation to pull off.

In any case, their should be no special rule for coastal cities in my opinion. Minos may be difficult to defend against city-bribe, he has advantages in other fields. Anyway, history tells all of us that the world isn't fair to all its inhabitants .

in all, I'm pretty neutral on the issue, and if Kull had wanted city bribe to be banned, I suppose he would have made the diplomats so that they couldn't bribe cities in the first place.

I guess we will all have to fear the loyalty of our Dukes and Counts and Earls and whatother nobles we've got, who pay us tribute every year, but who reign in their own realms

NB: even in PBEM you can see units passing by yours Not as well as in SP or MP, but you're still not completely blind
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• The month-long festival of thanksgiving finally at an end, the now-rested-yet-completely-hungover Egyptian road crews prepare to depart the distant city of Petra. But before they go, the grateful men leave the hard scrabble desert farmers a wondrous gift - a large network of irrigation ditches.
            Attached Files
            To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• NB: even in PBEM you can see units passing by yours Not as well as in SP or MP, but you're still not completely blind
              Do you mean the 'sleep' mode?
              BTW will a sleeping ground unit on a boat be awakened if a foreign boat goes along?

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowThinker

Do you mean the 'sleep' mode?
                BTW will a sleeping ground unit on a boat be awakened if a foreign boat goes along?
                Yes, I mean the Sentry/Sleep mode. And no, units on ships do not act as sentries, but the boat itself can.

Comment

• Your Majesty Cyrus, don't forget to send a screen shot, sorry, a land shot, to Babylon, please.

Comment

• My first hut in centuries!
                    Attached Files
                    Follow the masses!
                    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

• REVOLUTION !!!

In the year 3040 before the predicted birth of a mysterious new god, Greek disquieters made a surprize attack to their old despotic ruler, moving him to his new domicile .
                      Somehow gathering the enthusiasm of the pained folk, a new leader is pronounced, giving hope for the future.

Long live his majesty, king Agamemnon!

(that finally also answers the question to requested Oedo years...)

We, our majesty, are looking forward to keep on the peaceful neighborhood to our friendly neighbors, the Hittites, to which a kingly summoner was sent immediately near Tralleis, a new founded Hittite settlement.

Of course, we are also looking forward to continue the fruitful alliance with our good friends, the Minoans!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• After the trouble of revolution,
                        the new king of the Minoans needs some vacation...
                        I am away for two weeks till Monday, 12th January.
                        If the game should have circled around before that date, Someone (my ally La Fayette or Sparrowhawk) is welcomed to sub me (no big decisions to take, just walking around a bit to explorer new land).
                        Enjoy the game, and happy new year

Comment

• Minos is probably the last despot on earth.
                          Sorry for that, because Minos is very fond of crowns.
                          And the people would enjoy having a feast.
                          Meanwhile... sailing and fishing as usual
                          Attached Files
                          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

• O King Mandaru, Our Skirmishers had stopped to rest in the desert oasis and intended no harm. They have removed themselves from the path of your Spearmen.

O King Ramesses, Our Charioteers have encountered a road, and believe they may have accidentally blocked the return of your workers from Petra. Hopefully they can busy themselves with preparations, and my Charioteers shall remove themselves immediately.
                            Attached Files
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

• Happy New Year to all Kings and the one Despot

(FYI: Slow Thinker sends me the saves by e-mail, so I won't be downloading the posted the saves here)

turn

King Mandaru has passed away in the 48th year of his reign. Luckily he has been blessed with the gift to see most of his initiated works completed: Ishkandaroun is now a well fortified city with walls that rival that of great Nineveh itself. The walls have been layed out in a large rectangle leaving plenty space for a selfsupporting community inside the fortifications in the case of an extended seige. Docks on the seaside provide some control over the sea to the west, and ships will be constructed to patrol the waters.

A funeral service has been held at the brand new Temple of Suri, before the balmed body of this great King was set aside his father and father's fathers in the Pyramids of Nineveh. Suri has been a center of religious studies for ages now, and the benevolence of the Gods has been honoured by the construction of the Great Temple. Many people and families have moved, and will continue to do so in even larger numbers, to this great city.

The last edict of the late King has been the order to bring a group of slaves, some 1000 healthy men and women and children strong and well trained for their labor in the fields, to the border with Hatta. They have been brought to the Seyhan river that marks the beginning of the Assyrian Empire. Soon they will set foot on the northern shores of the river, and by doing so, they will be not far from Hittite territory, as was agreed with the Hatte some 30 years ago. An envoy of the King encompanies the group, and when the Hatte will take the slaves to their lands, the prepared documents that will provide for a lasting and firm peace between Assyria and Hatta can be signed, and the Treaty sealed. The great King of Hatta is asked to make the necessary preparations for the transfer.

the group of slaves crossing the Assyrian river Seyhan

Imsu, son of Mandaru, has taken the crown of the Empire, and a village in the southern desert has payed a tribute of 100 gold to the new King and the Assyrian Empire.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X