New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saqqara: The Conquest

As dawn breaks, the commander of the 1st Skirmishers gazes through the papyrus reeds at the sleepy village. Only a few suns south of Memphis it seems to belong to a different era. This is a dispirited place, hopeless and dirty - clearly suffering from the lawless rule of it's Libyan overlords. Sekmut shakes his head ruefully, pondering the strange vicissitudes of fate. "Three summers ago I was the headman of Memphis - appointed to handle the rat crisis - and if these Libyan bandits had invaded our village instead of this one...." The forlorn look of the last village headman's skull, still sitting atop a pole, is all the answer he needs. Last night, discussing the campaign with Ra-a-Memfes, thoughts of the old man's grim end added passion to Sekmut's plea for this assignment.

The sudden sight of a Libyan stumbling from a shabby hut shakes Sekmut from his reverie. Have they been discovered? But no, the man is still drunk from his nightly excess and collapses to his knees, retching into the field. It's also his last earthly memory as Sekmut leaps to his feet, waves his men forward, and dispatches the Libyan with a club stroke to the skull. In minutes it's over - with most of the Libyans dead, and the villagers cowering fearfully before Sekmut and his men. But soon the downtrodden farmers realize that these are fellow Egyptians who haven't come to loot and pillage.

At the behest of Sekmut the elders gather in the village center, and there he presents them with the Nomarch Deal. "Egypt can no longer exist as a nation of individual towns and villages. The Nomarch of Memphis welcomes you now as the first new member of our confederation. You will receive the protection of our armies and the freedom to work unhindered in your homes and fields, but in return we expect taxes and men for our armies and work crews." The elders realize this "offer" can't be refused, and quickly accept. "At least it's better than the Libyans", grumbles one elder - but most are genuinely happy.

That night during the Feast of Liberation, Nomarch Ra-a-Memfes wins over the last of the uncertain inhabitants with a surprising proclamation. "As of tomorrow we will tear down every hut in this village and build in it's place a town worthy of inclusion in the Memphis Nome!" And thus is born the city of Saqqara!
    Attached Files
    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Hey, I've got a problem: When I try to load the savegame, my Civ crashes.
      It works perfectly until the game should start (i.e. all the loading stuff, civ selection etc. works), then some error message comes, telling me something about smedsnet or sth like that, and Civ2 has performed an illegal operation (whyever). Can somebody take a look and that and see if it works on his computer? Please contact me so you can get the password as well.
      Follow the masses!
      30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

• Smedsnet!! The Evil Half Brother of Pharoah!!

May Horus strike him down, Anubis rip the eyes from his head, and Ptah hurl his Ka into the everlasting Pit of Night!! A thousand pardons o' Great King of Persia!

(Hmmmm. I downloaded the file from Apolyton to a different computer, started up the Persians using your old password, and the game works fine. Maybe your download was corrupted?)

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Well, loading it up as the Assyrians, everything is fine.

So it is either your tribe that has a problem, or your PC i guess.
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• @ Kull
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• I think you got it wrong. It was the immortal Zeus taking a look at your pitiful civilization and found it unworthy for it to continue. Smedsnet actually refers to the bastard son of Hera (and Talos, but you don't want to know about that) whom Zeus decided to send to the deserts to stir up trouble. Meanwhile, Hera has her lustful eyes on Bellerophon. Zeus and Poseidon are monitoring things.

Comment

• The Persian high council has met in Ecbatana and came to the following conclusions:
                1) It was decided that Smedsnet is the twin brother of the evil Aeshma, and, just as him, loyal servant to the evil Angra Mainyu (Ahriman).

2) It was heavily debated how to fight Smedsnet, and the wise men finally decided to ask the Gods themselves. So, they proceeded to the slopes of Mt. Demavend, and offered sacrifice. All gods were busy, only Anahita, the goddess of water and life, actually cared for the human's concerns. She offered following advice:

Thinkest thou, thy life is a game, then thy version is antiquated.

So, the wise men made a backup installation of their lives, pulled a new patch from the heavens and installed it. Because they were so happy that it worked, they founded a new city at the mouth of the Sefi Rud at the shores of the Caspian Sea, and named it Behistun, for no particular reason.
                Attached Files
                Follow the masses!
                30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

• no news, the gods were quiet

Comment

• sorry
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Boat discovers a new island to the East. The voice who told Minos must have been right, as the Island is surrounded by huge pools of Fish.
                      The on-board settlers are going to start a new life out there ...
                      Attached Files
                      Alexandr Yopov, Commander of the Murmansk front in the Red Front democracy game. Fighting for the glory of our marchal and the Rodina.

Comment

• The Hatte found their second city.
                        Attached Files
                        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                        i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

• hm
                          Attached Files
                          Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

• Two more barbarian Towns found.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Nile Valley: Commander's Council

The men of the 1st Skirmishers sigh with pleasure as they wade through the cool, shallow waters. Behind them to the North lies the rising new town of Saqqara, close enough for workmen's chants and the occasional bellow of an irascible overseer to carry above the burbling sounds of the river. As for these Warriors, their journey takes them across a short tributary of the Nile, where waters flow swiftly and steadily west into the thirsty depression that forms the Great Lake of Faiyum. Someday that land will become a bountiful addition to the growing Nome, but the minds of these men are on the task at hand - a rapid southerly march along the West Bank of the Nile.

The 1st Skirmishers are veterans now, hardened by training and their first taste of blood. The men travel in triple file at a slow trot, carrying few provisions and their lightweight arms - clubs, spears, slings - but mostly bows & arrows. They have a new leader now - a small, wiry little man called Unas. As Sekmut's former lieutenant he's not unfamiliar to the warriors, but their real confidence comes from the man who matches Unas stride for stride - the Nomarch himself, Ra-a-Memfes. Unas and the rest are glad for his presence, because this assignment is a perilous one. Ahead lie two communities. The northernmost is a small village, little more than a collection of huts peopled by simple farmers - but the other is a real town with Warriors and a Nomarch of it's own.

At the close of planting season several suns ago, Ra-a-Memfes had summoned a Commanders Council to discuss the coming campaign. A new band of warriors - the 2nd Skirmishers - had completed their training in Memphis and Sekmut was given their command. His orders were to lead the troops Northeast along the largest branch of the Nile, searching for a crossing into the Delta. Unas and the Nomarch had the real challenge - dealing with the small confederation of towns south of Saqqara. Eventually they might grow to rival the power of the Memphis Nome, and this could not and would not be permitted. The time to strike is now.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Guys I won't be able to post before Sunday, so don't think I can't play my turn, I'm just going away for the weekend.
                                Alexandr Yopov, Commander of the Murmansk front in the Red Front democracy game. Fighting for the glory of our marchal and the Rodina.

Comment

Working...
                                X