No announcement yet.

New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, one week, (or even two) in PBEM-time is nothing, so there's no need to rush. I'll think about all the possibilities, but we do need more players, because otherwise, some players might get advantages over the other ...
    Alexandr Yopov, Commander of the Murmansk front in the Red Front democracy game. Fighting for the glory of our marchal and the Rodina.

Comment

Thanks Paul for your PM. Yes, I am interested (I need to take a break from Medieval:Total War). Like Stefan, I have real weakness for what I consider to be the greatest Civ2 scenario of all time. Let me take the time to read through this thread, reacquantining myself with this scenario. I have never done a Civ2 PBEM (or even MP) so expect me to be the first to get wiped out. As far who to chose, I prefer Egypt but if you cranked the barbs up, that's not going to be pretty. So instead, I'll choose the Greeks since that was the civ that I played last time.

Comment

As far as I know, there are not many tricks for MP over the internet. The only thing important is a host with a sound internet connection. And all players should have the game in a folder with exactly the same name (and Path?), so that should be easy to arrange.

My connection is OK, but not particularly great. If somebody got ADSL or the like, I would support that person to host.

I'm not sure, but the Host must be the first player to move in the game. This does not necassary have to be the one who plays first in the Scenario. If f.e. the third player will host, then the first two players just treat the start as a regular PBEM, and we start the online game from there. (I'm not completely sure about this, but I did online trading of techs in a PBEM, while my Civ was later 'in line-up' then my counterpart, and it worked fine)

To Steve:
        Welcome

As long as you keep in mind we are just playing like you, and not like the AI, you should do fine. At least you played the scen before I have only seen my starting position so far
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Generally, it's a good idea to do the multiplayer session, but I warn you that my settings are antique, so that might take a while. As for the time, I think the weekend (though not Friday) will be fine with me.
          Follow the masses!
          30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Just got through reading this thread and realized that the original SoG scenario that I played may not be the same as this updated one. Besides the Wrath, what are the other differences?

As far as the options, I'm torn. My schedule is not conducive to MP but it is for PBEM. First, I'm a little confused as to the mechanism. You say a player takes 5 turns. Are the other civs then controlled by the AI during the five turns? What happens next, do I then pass the file onto the next player who takes his 5 turns and so on? We gets to start first? Perhaps the dumb question is how does Civ2-PBEM work?

I am more inclined to have the scenario reworked a little (sorry Paul) so that we have a bigger civ at start, but not sure yet.

Comment

Well, the idea is as follows...

Since SoG is a start-from-the-scratch-empire building game, an immense amount of patience is required to get the game going. The thing simply is, that even to the most patient people, this gets boring after a while. The very first PBEM I was in stopped after 5 or 6 turns due to this, and I didn't touch PBEM for the next half year or so.
              So the idea is, to get an "advanced start", i.e. playing a couple of turns with AI opponents, then pass the game on to the next player, so he does the same, etc. to a certain turn, so we can play PBEM from then on. Every player starts with an advanced empire, and since the AI has handled each one for the same amount of time, it is likely that there will be a balance between all players, so the game becomes more interesting.
              I don't think I need to explain how a PBEM works... you play your civ one turn, then save it in *.NET format and post it here, so the next player can download it and play his civ, etc.
              Follow the masses!
              30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

I think an MP session is the most fair option, and we don't have to bother about imbalances, since we then created them ourselves

I would be able to play this weekend. I guess sometime in the evening for the Euro's would allow the Noth-Americans to join around mid-day.

I can't figure out all the time-zone's from the thread... Do we have 1 American and the rest Euro's?
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Gakkk!!!

Grrrrr!

I'm a few thousand miles from home, and just discovered that my MGE CD is not here. And since that #$%&^ version REQUIRES the CD in order to run (unlike FW)......I'm outta luck (won't be able to hook up with my CD until Thursday, 10/3).

Since this is "my bad", you guys can go ahead with the MP session this weekend, and I can take over whatever position the AI leaves the Egyptians in when it shifts to PBEM.
                  To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

You could also just download the "no cd patch" from civfanatics
                    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Re: Gakkk!!!

Originally posted by Kull

Since this is "my bad", you guys can go ahead with the MP session this weekend, and I can take over whatever position the AI leaves the Egyptians in when it shifts to PBEM.
                      Same here, I just don't have the schedule that can accomodate MP. I still prefer if there would be a better way but since we want to get going, I'll take over the Greeks in whatever position they are at. I'm sure that it will be in a more disadvantageous position than what poor job I would do so I expect this to be a short game for me.

Comment

I was just reviewing my logs and I know that there are three sites I want my first Greek cities to be. I wonder what is the best way for me to get those three sites so I could have a slim chance of staying alive? If MP is the only way, then I would have to be open for that, somehow.

Comment

Alternatively, we could just get started

Since our first 20 turns or so could be done pretty quick, maybe we can get the game fast through these rounds. Sometimes there are these PBEM's that move really fast over the days.

I would prefer anything over an AI messing up with my Tribe, and I would like to enjoy the full pleasure of discovering the world around me myself, so since MP seems to be impossible to arrange I say:

GET THIS PBEM MOVING !

Is the playing order the same as the civ-list at the start-up screen? That will be then:

Hittite - Civfan
                          Babylonian - Diegoami
                          Assyrian - germanos
                          Egypt - Kull
                          Persia - Stefan
                          Greek - Steve
                          Minoan - Yop

And on what level do we play? King is used often so that the AI playes at a reasonable level, but I'm open for higher settings as well.
                          Last edited by germanos; October 1, 2002, 12:43.

Comment

May I join as hittite btw ?

Comment

Can i join as the Babylons
                              Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

Can i join as the Babylons
                                Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

Working...
                                X