This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mercator
    Terrain resources can only be hidden by the method Civ2 uses to hide them in mid-Ocean (and MapEdit can do that anywhere).
    What do you mean?

You can't just turn them on. The hut pattern is fixed, just like the terrain resources.
    I understand that perfectly. Huts are constricted to some squares only.
    Back to my question: you have a hut-capable square. How do you set the 5th byte so that
    a) hut is ON on that square
    b) hut is OFF on that square

Don't forget that the 5th byte must be able to hold information about visibility for 8 civs. There is no additional room for any additional information in those 8 bits.
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Originally posted by SlowThinker
      What do you mean?
      You know about hiding resources, surely? If not, try the following:

- Start a game in Civ2 and reveal the entire map. You will notice that there no resources at all in mid-Ocean (only near the coast, within reach of a city radius).
      - Now figure out the resource pattern and locate an Ocean square where there should have been a resource.
      - Locate this square in the savegame and you'll see that the 1st byte (of the 6) is 4A, while normal Ocean in 0A.

There you have it. Harlan Thompson discovered that. Civ2 uses a special flag to hide the resources in Ocean. So the follows, and... you can add 40 to any square to hide its resource. (That's what MapEdit can do.)

I understand that perfectly. Huts are constricted to some squares only.
      Back to my question: you have a hut-capable square. How do you set the 5th byte so that
      a) hut is ON on that square
      b) hut is OFF on that square
      Oh crap! I mixed up the two bytes. The 5th controls visibility, the first half of the 6th byte controls ownership. So you're absolutely right... A thousand apologies.

But anyway, for the 6th byte:

To turn the hut ON, set the first half of the byte to 0. No-one owns this square.
      To turn the hut OFF, set it to anything other than zero. This will usually mean F (barbarians own it?).

Notice that only the first of the two hexadecimal digits matters. The second sets the tile fertility...

See here:

Edit: But... You tricked me, damn you! That's what SCDARS said all along:

All tiles are set to have been owned by the Barbarians and a hut is considered tipped if one civ owns its tile (in the 6th byte).

I added the bold... So he was correct.

This reminds me of a classic way to win an argument:

A: You did it!
      B: No I didn't
      A: Yes you did
      B: Did not
      A: Did too
      [...]
      A: Did not
      B: Did too
      A: See! You admit you did it.

Edit2: And in reply to your other comment:

Only until they move. The move is seen, but then they are lost of sight completely.

That is what I meant by "lost out of sight". It can only be lost out of sight when it moves...
      OK, that's not true, you could have moved away from the square first, and the unit will still be visible... until it moves, as you said. I'll have to do some rewording on my map section I see... I'm working on a new version of the hexediting doc anyway...
      Last edited by Mercator; September 20, 2003, 21:51.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
        There you have it. Harlan Thompson discovered that. Civ2 uses a special flag to hide the resources in Ocean. So the follows, and... you can add 40 to any square to hide its resource.
        Thx. In hex-editing.rtf I didn't understand what 'no resource' stood for.
        Does it work with Ocean only?

6th byte:
        I followed your link and now I see Allard's hex-editing.rtf is out of date. There is only about fertility, so I was confused.
        Allard, I think in the future versions you should add also links that will lead to your information sources, since they may be updated faster.

Comment

Does it work with Ocean only?
          *cough* any square *cough*
          Civ2 only used it for the Oceans, but it works everywhere.
          Favoured Flight's ROTK scenario uses it, for instance. You probably didn't notice, but you'll find there's a distinct lack of resources.

6th byte:
          I followed your link and now I see Allard's hex-editing.rtf is out of date. There is only about fertility, so I was confused.
          Allard, I think in the future versions you should add also links that will lead to your information sources, since they may be updated faster.
          That's a very good idea.
          Perhaps not so much the map structure doc (since I will be the one maintaining both of them), but at least these Apolyton threads. And probably also all sorts of Civ2 hints, tips and utility pages for the latest state of affairs, related scenario design issies and utilities that can do things for you.

I'll have to spend some more effort refining the text and finding out what has been discovered so far (and isn't in the doc yet).
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

. And probably also all sorts of Civ2 hints, tips and utility pages for the latest state of affairs, related scenario design issies and utilities that can do things for you.
            I must confess I don't think the idea of SL: Civ2 Creation Hints, Tips and Guides is very good. A single document similar to the Great Library of Civ2-Strategy forum would be better.

Comment

Well, maybe this forum is a bit of a mish-mash, but at least it's all in one place.

So it's definitely better than having to search for the information spread around the forums.

Comment

I found this:
                Civilization Fanatics' Forums > About Hex-Editing,
                and I have a feeling recently I saw somethinq similar at Poly... Yaroslav, how many such findings did you spread over forums?

I think that each similar threads should have its link here so that next version of Hex-editing document may be easily created...
                BTW when next version will be published?

Comment

I think all of that will be incorporated in the next version, because yaroslav and me exchanged what we got.

As to when the next update will be... I don't know, I'm trying to convert the whole thing to HTML, because not everyone has Word, and that way I can easily put it online as well, or easily convert it to RTF or so.
                  Yaroslav is also supposed to be working on a bit.

And what do you find more important, RunCiv2 or the hex-editing doc?

Comment

I prefer RunCiv2.
                    BTW is your e-mail operational? You should get my two e-mails since afternoon 25.9.

Comment

It is, but I don't check it very often.

Comment

What is maximal number of units?

Comment

Originally posted by yaroslav
                          The agglomerate work of settlers is stored in the 15th byte of the unit (starting to count in 1).
                          It looks it is the 14th byte. So...
                          Originally posted in HEX-EDITING document
                          14 caravan commodity
                          (00 hides, 01 wool, ..., 0A uranium, F0 food supply, rest makes no sense)
                          This must be wrong.

I am inclined to believe there are 'units of work' stored in that byte. So Settlers increase the value stored in this byte by 1 every turn of work, but Engineers by 2. Reason: a Leonardo upgrade don't double the aggregate work.
                          This was confirmed.

9th byte (counted from 1) represents depleted movement (in relation to movement on roads): with standard Civ2 a unit that moves on road gets 1 on 9th byte; a unit that moves out of road gets 3.

Probably many people know that HEX-EDITING document confuses values of CiC and FW. This is a synopsis of differencies (file positions starts from 0, values are in hex):

CiC and lower FW and higher
                          Size of Unit entry 1A 20
                          Size of City entry 54 58
                          Wonders position (=Size of starting block) FC 10A
                          Size of CivEntry in Money&Techs block 574 594

Edit: this is wrong, see later in this thread.
                          Last edited by SlowThinker; March 6, 2004, 12:42.

Comment

I think next version of HEX-EDITING should contain how squares of map are ordered.

An example: width=40 (circumference=80)
                            then squares are ordered following way:
                            (0,0) (2,0) (4,0) ... (78,0)
                            (1,1) (3,1) (5,1) ... (79,1)
                            (0,2) (2,2) (4,2) ... (78,2)
                            (1,3) (3,3) (5,3) ... (79,3)

Comment

Destroyed units get (FE70, FE70) coordinates. But destroyed cities don't get these coordinates. How are they marked?

Comment

Here are some more questions:

9. BUILT CITIES INFORMATION & MORE
                                (source Allard Höfelt)
                                [...]
                                Of these three bytes, the first byte is the amount of cities that this civ built so far. This value is used to pick which city name to use in CITIES.TXT. The second and third bytes for each civ are not identified, and appear to sometimes be 00, sometimes 01.
                                Do these values also affect rioting/ increased unhappiness due to a large number of cities? I guess that's true, but did not test it. If so, I think its worth to be noted should any update of the document occur.

8. CITIES INFORMATION
                                [...]
                                83 = number of happy citizen
                                84 = number of unhappy citizen (double unhappy count twice??)
                                Do edits of these values last? I mean: Are those entries only adjusted or are they recalculated from the scratch when citizens' mood changes?
                                Civilization Webring Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X