TOT bug - civ-splitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOT bug - civ-splitting?

I had something very strange happen in a recent game: the Greek capital was attacked by the Russians, causing a split:

(see 1st pic below)

as you can see, the Greek rebels become Tregin faction!!
    Last edited by fluffy; October 12, 2001, 08:55.

as you can see from the next screenshot, the Tregin inherit all the Greek units! Aliens cannot normally build human units:

(see 2nd pic below)

Unfortunately, it did not take long for the aliens to start their own beasties, which are way stronger than the phalanx, etc they came up against - hence a quick end to the game...
    Last edited by fluffy; October 12, 2001, 08:51.

Comment

Game details, TOT 1.1, largest world map, max. civs, barbs set to Barbarian Wrath.

I'm wondering if the barb mod has broken the program, or has anyone else seen this before?

Comment

pic #1:
        Attached Files

Comment

pic #2:
          Attached Files

Comment

I've never seen this before - can you attach the save file?

I don't know how to explain it, but I would like to play it - sounds challenging.

STYOM
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I think it´s just an unlikely but in Civ2. You were playing an Extended Original game with less than 7 civs, right? So, a civ splits, one stays the same, the other becomes another civ if it´s available. Since there were no aliens it picked that civ.
              Well, that´s my guess anyway. They probably just forgot to prevent aliens to be used as a restarting civ.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

I don't know how to explain it, but I would like to play it - sounds challenging.

STYOM
                I'm not sure if I still have it - will post it if I do...

I'm afraid it's pretty much a game killer - the aliens are just too overpowered. but you never know....

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                  I think it´s just an unlikely but in Civ2. You were playing an Extended Original game with less than 7 civs, right? So, a civ splits, one stays the same, the other becomes another civ if it´s available. Since there were no aliens it picked that civ.
                  Well, that´s my guess anyway. They probably just forgot to prevent aliens to be used as a restarting civ.
                  I started with 7 civs, but it is possible that a civ had been destroyed by the barbs.

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy

I started with 7 civs, but it is possible that a civ had been destroyed by the barbs.
                    Yep, that's the reason. One civ on the other planet got killed early and that slot was used for splitting. Opposite things can happen as well -- you get to AC first only to find out that somebody's already there, not by sending SS, but by an alien civ splitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

not sure challenging is really the word - more like impossible!!

anyway, here is the save file - just before the greeks split, so you can see it happen.

:drumroll:

TOT CHALLENGE:

I shall be amazed if anyone here can finish this - the aliens cut through my cities like butter with their onghawks...

Comment

try again with file...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Xin Yu
                          Yep, that's the reason.
                          Well yes, that is the reason, but it is still a (game-breaking) bug!

Originally posted by Xin Yu
                          Opposite things can happen as well -- you get to AC first only to find out that somebody's already there, not by sending SS, but by an alien civ splitting.
                          I don't understand this - as I understood it, the aliens don't get barbs on AC, so how could their empire ever get split before the human civs land? or do you mean another human got to AC before you, split the aliens, and that caused another human civ to appear on AC?

Comment

There are two alien civs right? one can attack another and cause it to split.

Comment

No, there is only one alien civ (purple) in the extended original game of ToT.
                              But of course that you may change that in the rules.txt
                              Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Working...
                              X