Have I just wasted ten quid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I just wasted ten quid?

After a couple of years of playing freeciv, I thought it was about time to check out the original - I got ToT because it said on the box it included the original game along with all the other stuff.
    So I was a bit peeved to find it wasn't the original original game, but instead a migraine-inducing squinterama.

Tell me, now I've applied a graphics patch that lets me actually see what the hell is going on, am I going to derive as much enjoyment from this as I would if I had the genuine article?
    yada

Re: Have I just wasted ten quid?

Originally posted by Seneca
    I was a bit peeved to find it wasn't the original original game

am I going to derive as much enjoyment from this as I would if I had the genuine article?
    It is the genuine article, the exact same code (MGE), with improved graphics if you
    just increase the lightness and contrast of your monitor
    ToT rules!
    Hasdrubal's Home.
    Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

about ToT graphics

thats like civ2, if u dont like it, change it !
      u will just lost units'animations, u can even change terrain graphix but keep terrain bonus animations.

with Civconverter from Angelo scotto u can EASILY convert most of FW/MGE scenarios to ToT version

if u want create scenario ToT will be better than MGE !
      if u want to play some multigames u can use Gamespy Arcade which support ToT (and not MGE)

i ve converted my best scenarios for ToT with civconverter
      and i enjoyed to add more sounds or better graphics

Comment

Re: Re: Have I just wasted ten quid?

Originally posted by Hasdrubal

It is the genuine article, the exact same code (MGE)
        That's cool then - as long as the game engine's the same.

The AI's kicking me badly, so at least I know it'll be more of a challenge than CTP2...
        yada

Comment

original was meant as being the same kind of game as in "normal" civ2 (ending with the landed spcecraft and such) as opposed to the extended original etc.

I´m enjoying ToT just fine. I bought it really cheap a bit over a month ago.
          I had heard lots of stuff about the bad graphics but I never really had any problems with it, not even the first time. Just increase the lightness and contrast of your monitor (mine´s already at the maximum). The graphics may need a little getting used to, but the additions are really worth the money!
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Wahey, I'm sold - this is the real deal all right.
            The diplomacy stuff is way cool (though it would be better to have some sort of penalty for breaking treaties, a la Europa Universalis).
            yada

Comment

Actually , you get black marks for breaking treaties which lowers your reputation. Reputation is somewhat like the "bad boy" points from Europa Univeralis

Reputation levels range from spotless (no black marks) to atrocious (7 or more black marks)

Reputation levels : Spotless, excellent, honorable, questionable, dishonorable, poor, despicable and atrocious

You get 2 black marks for breaking a treaty unless you control the Eiffel Tower wonder which reduces it to 1 black mark per treaty violation.

The ai will not sign an alliance with you unless you have no more than 2 black marks (Honorable reputation or better). The ai will not sign any peace treaties with you if you have more than 3 black marks (Questionable Reputation or better). And the ai will not sign even a cease-fire with you if your reputation is Atrocious (7 + black marks).

Basically, if you can handle war with all of the computer civs continually, you can ignore your reputation. Otherwise, it is a good idea to keep it above atrocious.

Comment

There is also an option in the Rules.txt where betrayals will cost you points from your final score.

Usually there is no penalty but the Midgard Scenario gives you something like a 10 point score loss if you break a treaty. Silly really - its not as if anyone really cares what the elves think

Comment

Working...
                X