The Great War - Creation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by civ2units
    I don´t represent them. The British Empire will get American reinforcements later in the war, depending on how good the human player plays his game.
    Sounds appropriate.

No, I don´t want to include them via a seperate map. The Americans didn´t play such a major part that they have to be represented. If I do that, I should also include an extra map for Africa, Asia, etc...
    Yeah. It only makes sense if you're representing the United States as a faction - to show that the US is nicely removed from the main theater of things and a big, vast, potentially powerful country.

But if you're just using "American reinforcments" (which I would make available to both the English and the French - maybe after one gets them the other can't, but either player should be able to trigger it), that's not necessary.

I´m also thinking on beginning the scenario in 1900 and let go it until 1920. It should be something between build up an empire and conquering the world. I´m only using the WWI as background. So I think, the map is big enough.
    So the general (late) Age of Colonial Empires era? That makes more sense now. I'd still want more room just to make it a little harder to knock out capitals. Paris is not a front line city (in the real era), but having things too close together makes it work out that way in game.

Maybe I'm just thinking of it being unrealistic, but I'm not sure if it would play well either - one should be able to build up improvements in Paris (or London or Berlin) and not worry too much about defense (relatively speaking).

Originally posted by GhostofDisco
    I've always had a problem with infantry units having a movement rate of only 1, as it severely limits their ability to attack.
    I agree. Units having a move of 2 allows for moving and then attacking on the same turn, which is almost always appropriate (except maybe for siege artillery and other really slow units).

Maybe have infantry have 1&(some amount of road movement fraction) - say, 1 2/3rds (assuming default road modifiers).

Which reminds me of another issue of small maps.

Roads make unit movement between areas really quick.

And small or large, railroads would be extremely useful in this scenario (appropriate, but Civ's "zero movement" effect makes it even more so than it should be - and the bonus to shield producton, in a scenario where units are costly, makes them even more desirable if one can build them).

There ought to be a way to handle that, but I'm not sure what.

Comment

I´ve had now a look on the Ostfront map made by Curt and the Europe map which is made by McMonkey. Both maps are very good and especially McMonkeys map is very detailed.

I see now, that my own map (I don´t really know who made it) is too small for a scenario like WWI. I´ve decided to use the Ostfront map, as I think, it´s not too small for the human player and not too large for the AI.

What I´m looking for is a map which covers Europe and most of Africa which I can simulate the war also in the colonies. Does anyone knows a map like this?
      American War of Independence
      A Divided Nation - US Civilwar

Comment

Well, the Egyptian/Sinai/Arabian/Levant campaign(s?) can be done on the regular Ostfront map, as it includes much of that part of the Middle East.

I'd write more, but I have to go...
        The Ghost of the Disco is ... your mastermind, your mastermind!
        2013: A Union Divided|John III Sobieski|Red Storm

Comment

I would try to avoid the East Africa campaigns (unless you really want to include them) - representing the situation in a way that would produce even vaguely historical results with the Civ engine would be darn hard.

Not to say that historical outcomes are necessary - what's the point of playing if we can't try to alter history - but the Civ engine won't allow the German (Central Powers?) player to do what von Lettow-Vorbeck did, so the campaign will be pretty hard to make anything other than a push over for the English.

Then again, El Aurens (admitedly focused on representing that theater) does seem to have a good representation of Lawrence, so if you can find a way to make it work, I'd love to see it.

One thing I hope is represented is the Naval build up race prior to the war. At least in terms of techs and events.

Comment

If it's any help, I just uploaded my World War I minor powers' unit collection to the main SLeague site. Feel free to use them.

Comment

GREAT units there!
              "Peace cannot be kept by force.
              It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Thanks very much GhostofDisco, these units are great

I will use them in my scenario

Comment

It seems to be an interesting project

Comment

@civ2units:

Have you decided what civs are going to be included, beyond the Central Powers and Entente?

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Did some re-walling of your cities (More accurate walls ... there might be a bit of finegaling needed on the left corners, but still...)

(I'd post the BMP, but Apolyton's having trouble uploading things these days...)

Comment

@GhostOfDisco:
                        Your walls actually are looking better then the ones I´m using. I will replace them. Thanks very much.

@Curt:
                        I´m not sure because I´m looking for a good map. When I make a complete European scenario my civs will be the Central Powers (Germany and Austria in one nation), Ottoman Empire, British Empire, French, Russians, Italians and Neutral Alliance (they will represent the minor states).

I´ve now found a map which covers France, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and some parts of Britain. I thought about to make a Western Front scenario with front / trenches terrain and more. If I use this map my civs will be Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Dans and Britain.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I remember that long time ago someone from this forum (I think it was Sarstock but I´m not sure) tried to make a Jules Verne scenario for Civ, like the one which is included in the MGE version from Microprose.

Does anyone knows if he still works on the scenario, otherwise I´m thinking to make one for ToT. I´m currently in this time period from the late 1860s until the beginning of WWI. Also the movie "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" which I saw on TV some weeks ago inspired me to make a Jules Verne scenario including the historical background from the late 19th century

Comment

any news on this scenario, looked like a great one

Comment

Originally posted by rikki84 View Post
                              any news on this scenario, looked like a great one
                              Unfortunatelly no Currently I don´t have many time, several things in RL have now priority. But I´m still working on it when I find some free time.

I´ve more scenarios in progress.

- American Independence War (working on an American and British campaign)
                              - American Civil War (working on an Union and Rebel campaign)
                              - WWI (or maybe only Western Front)
                              - Medieval Time (a normal civ2 game settled in the Medieval Era. With complete new governments, tech-tree, new units, etc...)

Because I´m a little bothered about the AWI and ACW scenarios, I´m currently working on the Medieval scenario. It´s a scenario, which I tried to make for MGE long time ago and I´m now updating it for ToT.

Comment

Working...
                              X