Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age of Basilius never passed Alpha status?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of Basilius never passed Alpha status?

Hello, since i'm currently playing or at least trying out this scenario i thought i give some feedback to you busy scenario league caretakers, since it seems strange to me...could it be this is an alpha version only scenario or the wrong version published? It didn't say so in the description at http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ge_of_Basilius .
    First, when you start the scenario you get pretty much unrest in every one of your cities for now apparent reason. I thought ok, maybe it was intended because the East Roman state was in such a situation, but then again it doesn't say so in the otherwise very descriptive and often used events.txt text boxes here.
    Second, it seems to me a bit too unbalanced on the easy side, i managed to conquer the bulgars long before the historical events say Basil II ascended the throne, and could have overrun the Fatimids if i would've been serious about that, too. I used hardest difficulty as advised of course.
    Third and strangest, i get this message via events.txt at turn 29:
    Ionnes Tzimiskes participates in the murder of Emperor Nikephoros Phokas. He now ascends to the throne of the Roman Empire...ironically he will be remembered for his good deeds.
    -NOTICE: 2ND EVENTS CHANGE SO SAVE GAME AS JUNE 969AD, QUIT THE GAME, PERFORM A DELETE EVENTS BY DRAGGING THE SAVED GAME INTO THE DELETE EVENTS PROGRAM, OPEN THE EVENTSSWAP PROGRAM SELECT OPTION 2 AND OPEN CIV II TO CONTINUE THE GAME-sorry for this hasle but it is worth it!

There is no second event file included, even delevent.exe and an eventsswap program is missing from the zip.

Which brings me to the conclusion, this version is not what the author intendet to be uploaded i think, or he didn't really finish it. A shame, it seems to have great potential because this period in history is especially unknown to most i think.

AFAIK, the version that's on the SL site is the same as the one uploaded at CFC some years ago, so it shouldn't be an alpha version. There was never a development thread here that I'm aware of.

Not much help I'm afraid....
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

AFAIK, the version that's on the SL site is the same as the one uploaded at CFC some years ago
      Yes it is, i compared myself. However, by that hint i solved an issue with another of his scenarios which maybe should be updated on SL if possible. When i downloaded and tried out The Age of Constantine from SL, graphics look totally screwed in both MGE and FW. Every lower half of a terrain square is just grey except for ocean squares. My graphics adapter is a ATI RAdeon X1950 Pro and i'm using my TFT's native resolution of 1280x1024 but i don't think that matters anyway. When i downloaded the same scenario from CFC i noticed the graphic files where all in .bmp instead of .gif as in the SL version and the scenario looked normal without any error.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Rand al'Thor; November 26, 2009, 07:14.

Comment

That's a palette error. The files must have been resaved into gifs and the palette was changed, however slightly. Grey and purple are usually the culprits. The SL files may need to be replaced with the bitmap versions, whatever is better. I'm sure Fairline has a better solution.

Comment

This is the problem: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpo...86&postcount=7

I changed the palettes for cities.gif, terrain1.gif and terrain2.gif, and replaced the supposedly invisible grey with purple on the first two files. Erwan's cities (first row) were messed up as well; replaced with originals. Obviously the designer/uploader didn't look at the scenario before uploading.

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
          The SL files may need to be replaced with the bitmap versions, whatever is better.
          It's a FW scenario, not MGE. FW can't read bitmaps.
          Attached Files
          Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish View Post
            FW can't read bitmaps.
            Yes it can. They added bitmap support in FW with the addition of the editors.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Yeah, you're right. I read it some place, but I just tested it for myself.

I think I remember you from somewhere.
              Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                X