Converting terrain palettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting terrain palettes

Hello, I've been working on a scenario dealing with the Earth, the Moon and Mars. I've planned to use maps created by other scenario makers.

The problem is... my scenario uses other terrain palettes than the scenarios those maps were originally created for: I changed them in order to better control the effects related to pollution and global warming; so I need to change sistematically one terrain to another i.e. throughout all the map. For "palette" I mean the sequences of terrains in Terrain1.bmp and Terrain2.bmp and their associations in Rules.txt; nothing to do with colours. I'd know how to solve the problem using hex editors, but I'm not confident with them at all.

So, the question: how can I accomplish this undertaking without poking into bytes and offsets?
    If the only solution is that, can someone describe the exact procedure to me for such a thing?
    I read the work by Allard Höfelt and even downloaded the A.X.E., but I found it quite difficult
    to manage.

Thanks in advance.

JPG

Please state your sequence of terrains compared to the default, ie:

1 = desert
    2 = plains
    3 = grassland
    4 = forest
    5 = hill
    6 = mountain
    7 = tundra
    8 = glacier
    9 = swamp
    10 = jungle
    11 = ocean

In theory you could change every map square's terrain one by one, using a search and replace for each terrain type. Bear in mind there are 9000 squares in a typical large map, that's a lot to do!

Jorrit Vermeiren wrote a paper with the map encoding for savegames. E-mail him for details, and if you're still interested I'm sure we can help you out with the hex-editing software.
    "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

That's the reading I've already read. Jorrit wrote the section about maps. I've not been able to apply what he wrote about *.mp file (I cannot use ToT *.sav files, since they are different from the standard ones)

I'll write to him.

Comment

Jorrit's e-mail address doesn't seem to work. I'll wait some days, then I'll try again.

Comment

Working...
        X