No announcement yet.

A word with you John...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the main programmer in MGE is no longer in the game business, so I guess he's out of reach (for now).

Are you sure that those "limits" aren't left over from the original Civ2? Those numbers sound suspiciously like the generic upper limit on certain types of (programming) variables.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by John Possidente on 12-27-2000 09:48 AM
      Are you sure that those "limits" aren't left over from the original Civ2? Those numbers sound suspiciously like the generic upper limit on certain types of (programming) variables.

I am sure it was not possible until MGE.
      Some wise guy, much wiser than me (sorry, I don’t know his name), discovered that the 1st two hexa numbers on a *.mp file were the coordinates, x and y. He also discovered that you could go up to something like 10’800 and not 10’000 square. When I learned that, I hexedited some map files to make them a little bigger and because I’m no good at hexa, put a wrong number, a little too big. But the map worked anyway. I put bigger and bigger numbers until I reached 32767. All of that with MGE. I tried with ToT, and it worked too. Then I tried with FW and this time, it didn’t work. All of this has been confirmed by everybody, as far as I know.
      The gigamaps were not possible before MGE. Why it was left behind for both MGE and ToT remains a mystery. Everything seems to work fine for everybody, except maybe that the AI doesn’t fully use those big lands.

------------------
      Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
      Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Ahh. Neat. I wonder why he did that? Could be that at one point, he thought multi-human games would need bigger maps. Then again, it might have had something to do with converting the Civ2 code from C into C++, which I believe he did for MGE. Oh, well. In any case, it's jut another example of Apolyton folks knowing more about Civ than me. I'm getting used to it... ;-)

Comment

On side note but still on topic, in SMAC, map sizes are only limited by how big your cpu is and how much RAM the game has to play in. A standard huge map had 16384 squares and I've heard stories of people playing on maps with 262144 squares.
          There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

ever play on a 1000000 map? Didn't think so. You'll never discover the ends of the world before the game runs out.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DarthVeda on 01-04-2001 03:49 PM
              ever play on a 1000000 map? Didn't think so. You'll never discover the ends of the world before the game runs out.

Considering my p2-400 chokes blood with a 65536 squares map, I never actually tried it. Your point?

There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Working...
              X