ToT scenario available for look-see / play-test - "Multiverse"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!

If you need permanent free hosting, you might check out one of the many free website hosts out there, including geocities, nbci.com, and many, many more...

As you might have noticed, my site is very sparse in the civ2 section right now, so I'm greatful to have something to put there.

Off to playtesting!
    -KhanMan
    Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
    -KhanMan

Comment

O.K. The Scenario is now out of "Beta-test" thanks to extensive play-testing by Khanamed. Latest version has been uploaded. (as at 24-11-2000).

For any of those of you who are not yet engrossed in the new CTPII, it can be picked up from :
      http://kestrel18.tripod.com/Multiverse

Read about the various units and their abilities here : http://kestrel18.tripod.com/Multivin...erse-Units.htm

Enjoy.

Comment

ARGH!

I must say, that is by far the most interesting mispelling of my net name

Oh, and I have had trouble getting the newest version off your site...tripod won't let me download...

-KhanMan

------------------
        Sprecher der ToT
        First Minister of Machiavellia
        Founder, OTAATFPM
        (Off Topic Apolytoners Against The Finnish Power-Mongers)
        -KhanMan

Comment

Very good work Kestrel!!

I haven't downloaded your mod yet, but I looked through the list of units, and it looks very interesting.

Theoderik the Ostrogoth

Comment

KhanMan - sorry about the mispelling of your moniker.

Note that the only files that will have changed compared to the original set that you already have will be :

Multiverse-Part-1-Graphics-A.zip and

Multiverse-Part-9-Text.zip

Is the error you are getting when you attempt to download :

---

Problem Report
            There was a communication problem.

Message ID
            TCP_ERROR

Problem Description
            The system was unable to communicate with the server.

---

I have tried to download both files from a different computer and the Text file download appears to work but the Graphics does not.

My hunch is that Tripod has stored the 'Graphics-A' file on an alternate server which is not available just now.

I shall now try to upload the same file again to tripod and then again test-download it....

(Pause for some on-hold music.....)

SUCCESS ! (Although it took a while).

Can I suggest you try again to see if the problem is now cured ?

Comment

Okay, this is getting wierd...opened the tripod link, and now, suddenly, it's a temp directory with what looks like a song file, and some temp files...me no like tripod! Geocities no make me head spin so fast...

-Khanamed al-Verruckt, ibn Troll, McSayen

------------------
              Sprecher der ToT
              First Minister of Machiavellia
              Founder, OTAATFPM
              -KhanMan

Comment

KhanMan,

This is what I saw when I looked just now at http://kestrel18.tripod.com/Multiverse/ (note the upper-case and lower-case mix IS important) :

Index of /Multiverse
                Name Last modified Size Description
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Parent Directory 28-Nov-00 17:47 -
                Multiverse-Part-1-Gra..29-Nov-00 19:10 507k
                Multiverse-Part-2-Gra..22-Nov-00 00:25 693k
                Multiverse-Part-3-Spr..24-Nov-00 01:52 848k
                Multiverse-Part-4-Spr..24-Nov-00 01:52 641k
                Multiverse-Part-5-Spr..24-Nov-00 01:52 466k
                Multiverse-Part-6-Spr..24-Nov-00 01:52 672k
                Multiverse-Part-7-Sou..24-Nov-00 01:56 662k
                Multiverse-Part-8-Sou..24-Nov-00 01:56 492k
                Multiverse-Part-9-Tex..24-Nov-00 11:44 251k
                Read-Me-Multiverse.txt 24-Nov-00 11:50 15k

Which corresponds with what I'd expect to see.

But I must admit that I too have not had an "incident-free" run in my short time in alliance with Tripod.

I reckon its those Norsemen from another dimension... :-)

Comment

Well, what happens now is that, when I click to download, tripod gives me an interm page, saying how cool they are, and that this is hosted there, and then the file downloaded is a corrupted 13.7 k html, and not a zip...

Could you please email me just the text.files (zip number 9)? I need it to playtest the new phasing Norse

Thy Servant,
                  KhanMan

------------------
                  Sprecher der ToT
                  First Minister of Machiavellia Cybernation
                  Founder, OTAATFPM
                  -KhanMan

Comment

***BUMP***

I just managed to crawl my way up the ladder until I had bested the tribes that start out of normal earth (no easy feat, with few wonders), and now, after having made contact with the Norse on their homeworld, gave away lots of techs, and trade maps.

Their empire is about 10-15 cities larger than mine. They are about even in tech (research done), and my army isn't too large, so this will be VERY challenging...it's hard taking cities with infantry, since the tanks won't go through the portals...

Oh, you might want to make it so that cavalry unit never goes obsolete, because you need lots of cavalry, or a HUGE navy, to give an invasion it's punch...

All in all, a good challenge.

-KhanMan

PS. The saved game is here:
                    http://www.geocities.com/khanmaned/civ2/multigame1.zip

to let anyone who's interested try their hand at this invasion.

------------------
                    Sprecher der ToT
                    First Minister of Machiavellia Cybernation
                    Founder, OTAATFPM
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "Is that a scroll in your toga, little boy?"
                    -Socrates, Phaedrus Dialogue, 238e
                    [This message has been edited by KhanMan (edited December 20, 2000).]
                    -KhanMan

Comment

Glad that you are enjoying it.

My reasoning in setting up an expiry for "Cavalry" was that if we, today, discovered portals to an alternate world we probabaly couldn't quickly raise a cavalry based on horses, seeing as we have over the last century allowed stocks of horses as welll as 'horse-warfare-skills', and genetic bloodlines to run down (at least on a mass scale), having switched to mechanical means to pursure war. We could probably raise a few scouting parties on horseback at short notice, hence the non-expiry of the "Scouts" on horseback, but I thnk that raising a large effective Cavalry in 2,000 A.D. would take a great deal more time.

The alternative to the "Cavalry" on the Ancient world is to use the "Mortar Unit" which has the same attack and defense as the Cavalry and CAN use the portals (so you can build up an infantry force equipped with mortars on the home world and 'teleport' them across to the world on which you need to deploy them). The "Mortar Unit" has the added advantage that it ignores city walls (Mortars fire in a high arc) and, like the "Commandos", it has the 'Alpine - all as road' flag set. (Mortars are highly mobile, easily carried by a 2 or 3-man team).

However, it is true that the "Mortar Unit" can't move as quickly as the Cavalry over road, having only 1 movement point, but hey, the Norsemen and their neighbours have to have *some* advantage.

Enjoy.

Comment

Oh, I am enjoying it!

I have thought about using diplomats/ambassadors/spies, as they were a runaway success in conquering the homeworld (monarchy with high tax and no science was ideal), but I worry about counter-bribes, and democracy wouldn't work, given the need to grab a LOT of cities fast to have any chance...

I think I'll try a three pronged attack, maybe hitting a few continents simultaneously with mortars for cities, dips for units, and a screen of infantry, I just may be able to break through...the number of units I saw move on the first turn with the Norse maps make it interesting, though.

All in all, a great scenario and mod. Congratulations on a well crafted piece

-KhanMan
                        -KhanMan

Comment

Working...
                        X