ToT AI vs MGE AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ToT AI vs MGE AI

I've been playing Civ2 MultiPlayer Gold Edition, and had noticed that AI-civs turned "uncooperative" even only 1 turn after having been "worshipful". I figured this was a standard Civ2 flaw, but then I heard someone say that MGE has a bug in the AI, which is not present in the "standard" Civ2 game.

I've since bought Civ2 Test of Time, and was wondering if the computer AI (diplomacy-wise) in ToT is more like the one in MGE or more like the "standard"? It seems to me that it is a lot better than in the MGE version. In my current game, one of the enemy civs (Greeks) are "receptive" even after centuries of warfare between us, and I have two loyal allies (Persian & Babylonian) who have been "friendly" all along.

This has brought a whole new dimension into my game, and makes me realize even more how serious this bug in MGE really is! When I played MGE it was always Me versus the rest, with them allying against me. In my current ToT game, we are 4 allies versus the Greek and Roman aggressors. It is just so much more fun now!

Has any of you had the same experience?

Anyway, just wanted to share this with you guys.

Theoderik

The AI in ToT is just like MGE.

Comment

Actually I've witnessed the AI in ToT use more complex battle strategies (ie using more than one unit to assault a city), and I've even seen them use carriers (woah!)

Comment

I actually doubt that it is the same as in MGE, having now played both quite a bit. First, alliances were virtually useless in MGE in my experience. Uncooperative and Hostile were almost the only attitudes I would ever witness (apart from Enraged). In my ToT game, 4 civs are "Friendly", 1 is "Receptive" and 1 is "enraged" (we are at war). My two allies frequently give me technology without getting anything in return.
        This never occured during any of my games during the years I played MGE. It could be my version of MGE, of course, but the difference is very much noticeable!

As for battles, I'm not sure if there really is a difference in the AI, but it seems to me that the AI in ToT is a little bit smarter. That I cannot confirm yet though..

Comment

John, check your private messages.
          Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

We tried not to tamper too much with the (very successful) CIV II AI when we made ToT, but in the process of teaching it how to deal with multiple maps and the new terrain features, we did a few things that we thought were improvements.

Part of this effect, though, might be changes made to the AI for the MG Edition. I wasn't as close to that project, but if I remember correctly, they did make a few modifications to the AI.

Comment

I have private messages? Neat.

Comment

Working...
              X