Winning Extended Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning Extended Game

Just completed my first Extended Game (Deity)

Conquered all Earth civs just before landing on AC. As the Gazpichi were displaying no hostility towards me, and my scientific research was still proceeding rapidly, I decided to take John P's advice in his strategy guide and go for a science win by getting Transcendence.

When I finally got Transcendence about 10 turns later I was distinctly underwhelmed by the game's response, or lack of it ! As far as the game was concerned I had just got another routine advance - so what ! I was under the impression I had won the game, and expected some acknowledgement of same.

Have I got it all wrong about the science win ? Is there something else needed ?

Because I feel so unsatisfied about this science "win", I have decided to go back to the Landing savegame and go for a conquest win.

Just to digress slightly to a related point about the Extended Game.... I feel that there is too much overlap between the range of units available to the Earth civs and to the Aliens. I think its a bit daft to see alien races tooling around in familiar cruisers, helicopters, etc., while at the same time the earth civs are doing the same in thingies from horror movies !

Andromeda,

Firstly, congratulations on your victory. You should have got your video clip finish as per the events file for the extended game...
    quote:

@IF
    ReceivedTechnology
    receiver=anybody
    technology=99
    @THEN
    JustOnce
    Text
    ^^The Quest for Transcendence has ended.
    ^^The Winners' Ascension has begun.
    ^
    Those who failed to reach the peak in time can only watch in futile envy as the Shining Ones rise to a new state of being.
    EndText
    PlayAVIFile
    Scene6.avi
    EndGame
    endscreens=yes
    @ENDIF

For your info' there was a bit of discussion on the Extended Game in the following thread; apolyton.net/forums/Forum29/HTML/000721.html that in part discusses the inappropriateness of some units;
    quote:

I love Civ, but the new units are so ill thought out. Who drew the cyborgs? Looks like gumby. Or a tall smurf. Entrix. Great. Transformers, more than meets the eye...

Comment

Mystery solved ! The science win is not announced until the turn AFTER Transcendence is obtained.

I'm still inclined to think however that the science win on AC is kinda boring, compared with conquest. On Earth, I generally try for a spaceship win but almost always end up with a conquest win due to the bolshie AI civs. Therefore, in the Extended Game, its very likely I will usually arrive on AC with 100% of Earth under my control. This adds up to a large number of cities, all finetuned for max. science. So, it doesn't take too long to traverse the short extended tree.

Thanks, Cam, for pointing me to the units thread - I'm looking forward to reading it !

BTW, Cam, I'm using your modpack for Extended Game. Love it ! - would never go back to the gloomy originals !

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Andromeda on 06-28-2000 10:22 AM
        BTW, Cam, I'm using your modpack for Extended Game. Love it ! - would never go back to the gloomy originals !

Well, I'd love to take the credit - but I suspect it's Kestrel's modpack (?).

Pleased you finaly got to 'floaty guy'!

Comment

Working...
        X