Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another use for flags

PERSONALIZED MESSAGES

Maybe this has already been done, but I thought I'd bring up something I developed. We all know about the "No Broadcast" in the events file. In a recent scenario I did, I used the flags as a guide for the "No Broadcast."
    First, I made an event saying that:
    @IF
    Turn
    turn=1
    @THEN
    Flag
    who=CIV
    state=On
    flag=31
    @ENDIF

This would cause a message to appear only to the specified civ identified in the "who" parameter. The "No Broadcast" refers to the "who" in the Trigger, and it will work for the Checkflag command. In this way, you can create a specific text window for multiple sides of an event. Maybe if a specific city is taken, it will give a victory message to the victors, and a defeat message to the losers. I'd like to know also if this has been used already by someone.

You may or may not be the first to have thought of it, Hannibal. However, at this early stage of ToT scenario design I think we can safely say that you are the first to have publicly posed the idea. Keep up the good work.

Would you please post the whole sequence of events in which you use these private messages because I am confused on why you would need to use a flag when you know who the trigger attacker and trigger defender are. Thanks.

Comment

Well, this is really more useful for things like timed events. In the case I used it for, I made a alternate history scenario taking place in 1914 where the Confederate States of America still exist. For fun, I decided to give specific instructions in the first turn to each civilization. Basically, what it did was send a "no broadcasted" message to each civilization, and if its a 1 player game, the only one it will matter for is the player.

@IF
      Turn
      turn=1
      @THEN
      Flag
      who=Confederates
      state=On
      flag=24
      @ENDIF

@IF
      CheckFlag
      who=Confederates
      flag=24
      state=On
      @THEN
      Text
      No Broadcast
      ^ You are the leader of the Confederate States of America. While other countries have continued to develop, the Confederacy has changed very little in its ways. You are a neutral leader, but the alliance with Britain must be maintained, so war with Mexico is in the foreseeable future. This will give you the chance to expand without US intervention.
      EndText
      @ENDIF

In the case of this. I had to find a way to give a "who" parameter in the trigger since that's all the No Broadcast pays attention to. The only way I could get it to do that was by using flags. Maybe there's a faster way. If there is please tell me. Also, in case anybody was curious. I'm playing on making this scenario available as soon as its run its final tests.

Comment

I am fairly certain that TriggerAttacker is the same thing as who, so the No Broadcast should work without the flag for the Attacker anyway.

Comment

The TriggerAttacker is the who if you've killed a unit or taken a city, but how do you have a TriggerAttacker for a "Turn" command? I haven't seen anyway to do it. And what if you want to send a personalized message to the loser of a unit or city. Let's say hypothetically that you're doing a World War II scenario. The Germans have just stormed Paris. What if you want to send a victory message specifically to the Germans? No flag needed. But what if, at the same time, you want to send a message specifically to the French. I think you would need to use the flag there.

Comment

Working...
          X