Multi Linked World Map Project !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi Linked World Map Project !!

It's been a while, but I finally made a new set of maps.
    Could you (especially Tecumseh, Michael Daumen) have a look at them, and see if they work (correct linking, satisfying accuracy etc.).

you can download them here.

One note: the impassible region is now four squares wide, but the leftmost and rightmost columns will become accessible and house the transporters.

By the way, only three maps are used completely, the fourth is used to link the others. Since this 4th map is mostly empty it may be a good idea to use for other purposes.

E.g. in a global WWII scenario, a transporter could be placed on the site of Stalingrad, and move you to the fourth map. On that 4th map could then be a small map of the Stalingrad region, allowing you to play the battle of Stalingrad in a bit more detail.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Jorrit, beautiful job as usual! I haven't had time to try the linking yet. These are my preliminary comments.

-Watch the land links over oceans. units shoudn't be able to move from France to England, Sahkalin to Hokkiado, Singapore to Sumatra, or Gibralatar to Africa(?).

-Lake Superior could be a bit wider (N-S), and Vancouver Island should be an island. If it connects to the mainland it should be to the east, not south.

-It's possible to set the terrain on map 4 to 0 movement points/square. Is it land or sea? Which should it be?

More later. Wonderful job!
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

The fourth map links America and Asia, forming the center of the Pacific, so it's ocean.
      The fourth map looks a bit strange, but the narrow sealanes just show in which columns the transporters should be. And since there will probably only be a handful of transporters on every side of a map, these lanes might well be enough to do the job (instead of a narrow sea over the entire length of the map).

I'll have a look at the land links. By the way, should the Black Sea be accessible through the Bosporus, or should Istanbul block it, so only the civ keeping Istanbul will be able to enter.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Bosporus Issue: I can certainly understand why you asked the question, since historically the owner of Istanbul has controlled entry to & from the Black Sea. However, forcing every civ to pass through one city means that even Istanbul's allies would be forbidden access. Kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. IMO the lesser of two evils would involve NOT using a city to block the Bosporus.

It's a bit of a moot point anyway, because if a scenario developer really wants to block the Bosporus, all they have to do is edit the map!
        To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Mercator, these are even better than the first crack! I began eating into the edge of the glacier squares, so their width is just right. I sent a first try with Brazil over to techumseh, who did it correctly. Next task is to integrate the blank map into the mix!
          "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
          -OOTS

Comment

I made some changes to the maps, solving most of the "problems" tecumseh mentioned. I also reduced the width of the impassible zone to two squares, the original rightmost and leftmost column now form the overlapping squares where the transporters should be placed.
            I'll update the maps as soon as possible.

Comment

Here's the new set of maps:
              click me

[This message has been edited by Mercator (edited January 31, 2000).]

Comment

If you think they're OK, please let me know so I can starting working on the terrains!

Comment

Working...
                X