Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the names of trade goods matter at all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the names of trade goods matter at all?

I've been assuming that there MIGHT be some sense in the software about trade goods. For example, if a city mines gold from its mountains, it would supply gold and not demand it. To take this to the logical extreme (and this ought to be in rules.txt but isn't), each special terrain would have the option to be associated with a type of trade goods.

Howeer it seems to me that there are probably no semantics about trade, and I can rename the items as I wish in rules.txt (and what fun that will be). Am I right?

- toby

------------------
    toby robison
    criticalpaths@mindspring.com
    toby robison
    criticalpaths@mindspring.com

Well, the trade goods are not as random as they appear. While there is no connection between terrain and trade goods there is a connection between technology and trade goods. The discovery of certain technologies triggers some of the trade goods to be demanded (and supplied).
    For instance the discovery of nuclear power causes uranium to be demanded and supplied.
    I suspect several others connections but have not taken the time to research them.[*]Combustion and oil[*]Steam engine and coal
    The bottom line is that you can name the trade goods whatever you want and it is unlikely anyone would notice the connection to the tech tree unless it was a glaring error like connecting coal to cold fusion.

Comment

1. I am pretty sure supply and demand of trade goods is determined by city improvements (Try poofing an improvement in Cheat Mode and see what happens:-).

2. The names don't matter at all so you can refer to Gold as Clubbed Seals and to Uranium as Kinky Virgins if you feel like it.:0)

------------------
      St. Leo
      http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
      http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Actually, I have descovered a link between Terrain and trade goods. I'll write a tip for Sleague about it since nobody else knows

Comment

Cool DarthVeda!

I would love to see it!

Comment

I noticed something about trade goods, I think: When I had transfered support of a military unit that happened to be stationed in a city that was not it's home town the trade goods supply and demand changed at that very moment.

Comment

Working...
            X