Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple Linked World Map Project (MLWMP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Linked World Map Project (MLWMP)

Mercator has agreed to start work on a set of 4 linked maps, each comprising one quarter of the earth. Combined they will create a huge multi-map of the earth. He will use Mike Daumen's brilliant technique of using slightly overlapping ROUND maps to create linked maps where you can move off the west side of one map onto the east side of the next. Impassible terrain is used to prevent units from passing from from west to east ON THE SAME MAP.

This project will provide a set of maps which allow ToT multi-theatre WWII scenarios, etc. If you have any ideas, or want to help, post on this thread. Thanks to Mike and Mercator.
    Last edited by Mercator; July 5, 2020, 07:18.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Absolutely! Or for something like the Seven Year's War, with the main theatre in Europe, and secondary theatres in N. America and India. Or WWI: West front, East front, Italian front.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Just curious, but do you think this technique would allow one to build a two map, East Med - West Med world for use in a (surprise, surprise) Ancient Empires scenario?

I can see Rome, Carthage, Antigonids, Ptolemies, Seleucids, Parthians, & Minor Powers. Two maps would really make things interesting!
      To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

I think this method will work well for all the examples cited. The only problems I think we may encounter are

1) the differences in scale between some maps. Using the pacific and europe maps is a good example; only in the area I linked is there a really good correspondence.

2) having a link go all the way down a particular side. I will experiment to see if this is not too unwieldy.

Also, I can't figure out how to make terrain off-limits to some units. If that doesn't work then it needs to be powerful air units and warnings in the readme.

------------------
        Michael Daumen

"the future is not yet"
        "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
        -OOTS

Comment

Mike, in the ToT Rules Text there is an extra spot at the end of the terrain line, right after the spot that controls what the terrain can be transformed into. Put 'yes' for impassible terrain.

To make a unit which can move through impassible terrain, find its line under UNITS ADVANCED. In column 'G', put a '1' in the fourth spot.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

How many squares of overlap do we need at each end for this techinique to work? Mike? Anyone?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I am badly in need for a huge accurate and digital (scanned/from website) map of the world. This map should either be in Mercator's or Miller's projection.

... I found one.

[This message has been edited by Mercator (edited October 27, 1999).]
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

This sounds great!

Can't wait for the maps to be up (I'm crap at designing maps myself).

------------------
                'He who thinks great thoughts often makes great errors' - Martin Heidegger
                19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Will 4 squares of overlapping (2 left, 2 right) suffice? If you want your maps before Christmas, don't think about it too long (nag nag)...
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I think 4 (2 on each side) will work. Go ahead unless you hear from Mike Daumen in the next day or so.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

OK... By the way, I have something (very) interesting to tell everybody (not just Civ2:ToT). Hmmm, I'm not sure if I should start a thread about it. I does have something to do with maps of course... But, well, I'll keep it a secret for just a bit longer.

Comment

Here is something to think about for your linked maps, a project which I'm toying with myself.
                        Keep in mind that in the old, old days (like 4000bc), the land was almost completely covered in trees. I make my western europe map that way, in which even Spain was covered in forest where there weren't hills or mountains. Of course, have the occasional coastal or even inland grassland square. Anyways, it had an immense effect on technological and expansion times. Tech slowed WAAAAY down (forest is bad for trade, and it takes a while to chop it down). It was tons of fun to play with the slower tech rates, though.
                        Also, each map will be able to have its own set of terrain features. Things to consider: Europe doesn't have a lot of desert, actually, none, really. So, you might want to replace desert with another type of mountain perhaps, allowing you one with different elevations, defensive bounses, etc. Perhaps in Asia you would want to have rice patties instead of irrigation (or whatever), you see what I mean.

Comment

Actually, just to be picky, Spain has a very small area of real (as in officially designated as) desert. I have been there on a field trip but cannot remember the name, it's in the SW part of the country. It's Europes only desert. Now you know
                          It wouldn't show up on a normal Civ map unless the scale was increased.

Comment

I live in Southwest Spain, I know what the region is like. My point is, it was much different at the beginning of the game's time period (4000 bc). Farming, deforestation, and mining have begun the cycle of desertification in Spain.
                            There is an old saying:
                            Centuries ago, a squirrel could jump from tree to tree from the north of spain to the south of spain without ever touching the ground.

So, start with the trees, let mankind strip them from the land, and reap the benefits of trade and food from there toils, and perhaps also the decay of the land from pollution.

Comment

hey, guys have you seen MapUtility?
                              http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/smac/fil...load.pl?id=130

just wondering in case you didnt....

Comment

Working...
                              X