X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ2 ToT Hack to prevent CPU damage

Please just an info on TOT usage.
    I found Cathfish website referring to Tim's code Archive :

where a certain Tim did develop a .exe to prevent CIV II (Mge adn Tot) from using the full CPU, and prevent possible damages..
    what i wish to ask You is :

"Does this "utility" work , and is it really useful ?"
    "How does is works ? just launch it ? or sobstitute the orginal civ.exe ? "

Thank u !

.. I just wish try to prevent my brother PC from being "cooked" buy my gaming attitude toward old (good) games..

WEBSENSE -
    btw i found out that sadly http://sleague.apolyton.net/ is blocked by my company internet filter , WEBSENSE..
    "site forbidden, category SPORTS"..
    i shell tell them to change it to "gaming" !
    Last edited by Von Bert; March 20, 2008, 07:10.

I have been running the 'ToT no-limits' Civ.exe, without any problems of overheating, etc.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

The hacks work. Before I installed the two hacks in MGE and TOT, civ2.exe was using a lot of CPU (sorry, can't remember the %). Now its less than 10%.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Yes, definitely use it!
        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Re: Hack to prevent CPU damage + websense

Originally posted by Von Bert
          "Does this "utility" work , and is it really useful ?"
          "How does is works ? just launch it ? or sobstitute the orginal civ.exe ? "
          It works, as the others said. It replaces the original civ2.exe (you can, and should, back that up, of course).

WEBSENSE -
          btw i found out that sadly http://sleague.apolyton.net/ is blocked by my company internet filter , WEBSENSE..
          "site forbidden, category SPORTS"..
          i shell tell them to change it to "gaming" !

And apolyton.net does work? I guess it's just being filtered out because of the "league" in the URL. That also explains why it's in the sports category.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

You just need to find a business rationale to justify it. That's what Merc did so that he could stay abreast with his passion, professional wrestling.*

*Check his Thesis.
            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Someone mentioned breasts...Gasp!

Oh...'Abreast' -
              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
                You just need to find a business rationale to justify it. That's what Merc did so that he could stay abreast with his passion, professional wrestling.*

*Check his Thesis.
                Not again, you bastard!
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Boco

*Check his Thesis.
                  Interesting read. I have to say that I question the asymetrical methodology regarding Lidstone smoothing, as well as the non-inclusion of the multi-variate Bernoulli model.

Have you considered contrasting the effectiveness of the Augmented Naive Bayes Classifier with the Frustration Threshold based Arbitrary Banning Ming system in newsgroup moderation? If not, perhaps it's something you might want to wrestle with in your PhD dissertation.
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                    Interesting read. I have to say that I question the asymetrical methodology regarding Lidstone smoothing, as well as the non-inclusion of the multi-variate Bernoulli model.
                    Do you actually know something about this? Or did you just pull some random nonsense out of Google based on stuff you saw in my thesis?

This paper is the reason I didn't consider the multi-variate Bernoulli model. And I don't know what the hell you're on about with "asymetrical methodology"... Thanks for making me have another look at my thesis, though. I hadn't looked at it for a year or so.

Have you considered contrasting the effectiveness of the Augmented Naive Bayes Classifier with the Frustration Threshold based Arbitrary Banning Ming system in newsgroup moderation? If not, perhaps it's something you might want to wrestle with in your PhD dissertation.
                    My PhD will have to wait a little while. Maybe in ten years. I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator

Do you actually know something about this? Or did you just pull some random nonsense out of Google based on stuff you saw in my thesis?

This paper is the reason I didn't consider the multi-variate Bernoulli model. And I don't know what the hell you're on about with "asymetrical methodology"... Thanks for making me have another look at my thesis, though. I hadn't looked at it for a year or so.

My PhD will have to wait a little while. Maybe in ten years. I'll keep that in mind.
                      Have another read.

I crack myself up!
                      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

As fancy as "multi-variate Bernoulli model" sounds, it's actually just about the simplest model around.

And I knew you were just being silly with the second half of that. But the thing is, you're much closer to the mark than you think you are with that.

Apolyton was the main reason I chose that subject. And it ended up being about newsgroups rather than forums only because it was much easier to get the necessary data from them.

Secondly, my automatic moderator didn't just moderate by itself. It gradually learned from the behaviour of an actual moderator. E.g. like an e-mail spam filter gets better when you flag e-mails as spam. So if it were to run on Apolyton, it would end up modeling Ming's banning behaviour... Well, an ideal automatic moderator would anyway, not my system, because that was kinda crappy.

Comment

Well.. thank you guys for the info.. i'll try then to use this civ2.exe hack to save my cpu..

But on the reverse.. i'm sorry to say that i'm currently not able to speak about that "multi-variate Bernoulli model"...
                          not even if in italian !

btw.. the "websense" campany internet filter it only blocks "Scen.League" website.. up to now the apolyton is still free for me to browse..
                          and i do !
                          Last edited by Von Bert; March 25, 2008, 10:39.

Comment

Wow, this works wonders. My CPU usage went from 50% to 2%. Hopefully this will mean longer battery life for my laptop.

Comment

Working...
                            X