Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum restructuring: Civ2 input needed

Read this thread in the Apolyton/Community forum:

They're planning to restructure the forums and made a proposal for the new structure. There's nothing drastic planned yet for the Civ2 section, but I think it would be good if you all had a look at it so at least you know what's happening before it's all decided.

It would be good to hear from some multiplaying/PBEM'ing types as well.

And as a general note, I'd suggest you have a look at the Apolyton/Community forum every now and then. It might be mostly spam, but sometimes it's actually discussing things that are relevant to us, like this forum restructuring, or a hall of fame vote.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Indeed - I think we had best make our voices heard.

Some posters over there are talking about merging our CIV2 area...

That cannot happen! Let's tell them our views, people!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have given my opinion.

Good to see Civ II has outlasted Civ III. I would not mind betting that when Civ IV is abandoned for V or VI the Scenario League will still be chugging along!

Having said that I have never played Civ IV so I could be talking a load of baloney
      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
      SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
      SL INFORMATION THREAD
      CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Nope, you are talking perfect sense!
        CIV2 is the best ever - We will outlast them all!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

forwhatitsworth . . . .

Hopefully, we don't lose the Scenario League forum.

IMHO, the reason we continue is the space/room left for creativity. The Scen Leaguers don't care about liveactiongraphix. We're after something far more challenging and difficult; historical analysis reduced into enjoyable gameplay. I can't speak for anyone else, but what I'm after is the essence of an historical situation, its complexity, its economy, its dynamics. I couldn't care less whether a little figure swings an axe.
          Lost in America.
          "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
          "or a very good liar." --Stefu
          "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Re: forwhatitsworth . . . .

Originally posted by Exile
            IMHO, the reason we continue is the space/room left for creativity. The Scen Leaguers don't care about liveactiongraphix. We're after something far more challenging and difficult; historical analysis reduced into enjoyable gameplay. I can't speak for anyone else, but what I'm after is the essence of an historical situation, its complexity, its economy, its dynamics.
            Exactly. So much ability here to recreate history through a little old game.

Comment

Attractive graphics would not turn me off a game. For example Blue Lion's efforts to convert CivIII units for ToT is a very interesting development in the evolution of CivII. We all love the work of Fairline, BeBro, Nemo ad all the other units pioneers who make our CivII scenarios so interesting.

The key CivII's longevity is twofold. Good graphics can be produced with fairly simple graphics editors and modified effectively even by people like me with limited artistic talent. The other important factor is its ability to be modified through changes to the rules and events to create something familiar but totally new. If the Source Code ever gets released goodness knows what can be achieved. Games like CivIII/IV are no doubt fun to play, but once you have tired of the vanilla game they do not have the vast scope of CivII.

Long live the Scenario League (McMonkey goes off to get a Scenario League tattoo )
              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
              SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
              SL INFORMATION THREAD
              CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Good heads up Merc. We should all add our 2-p's worth, if only to give an indication that the SL is still an active forum. Mind you, I guess the number of posts since the forum crash is a good indicator of that. It'd be interesting to know what the SL total post number would be with pre-crash totals added in. My guess is it would rival the civ3 fora.
                http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

It would be a terrible loss to see the Scenario League become amalgamated into just a general civ2 forum.
                  Please put Asher on your ignore list.
                  Please do not quote Asher.
                  He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

I don't think anyone has to be worried about the SL forum disappearing. Locutus is a good guy, and his statistics put the SL as one of the more active forums on the site.

The main thing left is probably what to do with the PBEM forum. Eivind!

Originally posted by McMonkey
                    If the Source Code ever gets released goodness knows what can be achieved.
                    Except that'll be even harder to edit than Civ3 or Civ4 are to mod.
                    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Of course my contribution to SL is so far negligible, but what is this big worry about? Are we going to loose PBEM, Civ2 or SL sections of the forum? If we are how would that improve forum running?

Comment

I don't think there is a big worry, just so long as no-one deletes the forum again....

In fact it's nice to see the SL described as one of the 'jewels in 'Poly's crown'. They don't know us that well, do they?
                        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Originally posted by Gelion
                          (...) but what is this big worry about?
                          There is no worry, really. It's just that there's a discussion going on about forum restructuring and I thought the powers that be needed some input from Civ2 players to find out what to do with the Civ2 section.

Comment

Kep the Civ 2 section, dagnabbit! Our words are backed with ... um ... EVENTS FILE-MANIPULATION SKILLS!
                            The Ghost of the Disco is ... your mastermind, your mastermind!
                            2013: A Union Divided|John III Sobieski|Red Storm

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfDisco
                              Kep the Civ 2 section, dagnabbit! Our words are backed with ... um ... EVENTS FILE-MANIPULATION SKILLS!
                              Thats what I would say

Comment

Working...
                              X