Asking for Hex-Edit experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cifer Almasy
    Replacing Terrains is easy with this tool, but you can't save as .sav, I guess, just as .mp file. So all my city placing would be lost.

Any other solution here?
    Use MapEdit to do the conversion and save it as a map.
    Then use MapCopy to import that new map back into your savegame. It's a command-line utility so you'll have to open a command/DOS prompt.

Assuming the map, savegame and mapcopy are all in the same folder, and you're in that folder with the command prompt, call it like this:

Code:
    mapcopy your_map.mp your_sav.sav -s -bc -f
    This should copy only the terrain info. It'll make a backup too.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Yep, mapcopy will save the day for you. Mapcopy is what I use for season change in bk1936, you know! take a look at the batch to understand how it works.
      Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Thanks, at both of you.

But about Mapcopy: Dario told me, it would randomize terrain information, which makes trade kinda weird. For example at Bk1936 an undemanded good no matter if coming from Hamburg or Addis Abeba is always higher in outcome at New York than at Perm, both equiped with Improved Infrastructure. Outcome always was about 1000-1200 in average cities (if the trading city had Improved Infra itself.) So far so good. Perm always was about 800 instead. But when I brought demanded goods to New York again from average cities it was like 1800-2000 gold perhaps.
        Now I just can't explain why Mogadishu-Perm demanded gave 6000 gold!?
        This was not natural.
        Even if it was a demanded good with higher multiplier...

Dario said, that mapcopy mixed up the informations about terrain tiles.

But don't mind, yet I replaced all cities from my old save to the new map again! Was lot's of work and sucked!

But thanks for all your advice.

Eivind, perhaps I may see you at MSN soon? Would be a joy!
        Deutscher Meister 2004: WERDER BREMEN

Comment

I couldn't erase specials from filler squares in a savegame with MapCopy (as far as I remember). Can the changed ressource seed be an explanation for that (I think I hexed it) ?

Comment

Dario said, that mapcopy mixed up the informations about terrain tiles.
            I'm guessing that has to do with the body counter info (or maybe the fertility?) being changed. The -bc and -f options I mentioned make sure those aren't touched. So only the terrain is changed and nothing else.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator

I'm guessing that has to do with the body counter info (or maybe the fertility?) being changed. The -bc and -f options I mentioned make sure those aren't touched. So only the terrain is changed and nothing else.
              Thanks a lot, Mercator!
              That will stop my headache regarding future changes to the map. I can lean back relaxed, thinking about special ressources now, knowing I can make my complete city placing "reappear" at every time!

Comment

Me too, thanks Merc. :top:

Comment

Use MapEdit to do the conversion and save it as a map.
                  Then use MapCopy to import that new map back into your savegame. It's a command-line utility so you'll have to open a command/DOS prompt.

Assuming the map, savegame and mapcopy are all in the same folder, and you're in that folder with the command prompt, call it like this:

Code:
                  mapcopy your_map.mp your_sav.sav -s -bc -f
                  This should copy only the terrain info. It'll make a backup too.
                  Hey Mercator!

I tried to follow your instructions, but I get an error message. Perhaps you can help me again?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Put double quotes around the map name: "neue map.mp"

Code:
                    mapcopy "neue map.mp" look-create.sav -s -bc -f
                    Always put double quotes around names with spaces... In fact, you're lucky cd eigene szenarien worked. It doesn't work on Windows 98. I have to use spaces for that too.

MapCopy sees neue as the first command-line argument (= file to copy from), map.mp as the second command-line argument (= file to copy to) and then expects only switches like -s or -bc, but sees look-create.sav instead and "dies."

Comment

Holy! Awesome! It worked!!! Thanks a billion times, Mercator!!!

Now I can play with my map as much as I wish.

Btw: With this technique it is possible to create citys on the ocean!

Comment

btw: about "cd eigene szenarien" - what would've not worked on win98? I just remebered the commands my parents teachend me, when I was very very very little and there was no Windows. I am surprised myself, I rembered it.

Comment

Holy! Awesome! It worked!!! Thanks a billion times, Mercator!!!
                          Well, thanks, but I just told you how to use MapCopy. Dusty gets the credit for actually making MapCopy.

And before you go on a rampage using MapCopy to copy maps back and forth... Changing land to Ocean or vice versa, or doing any terrain changes involving the Grassland or Plains terrain types could very well create AI problems... But please do go on and experiment, if only so you can explain how MapCopy works to someone next time.

btw: about "cd eigene szenarien" - what would've not worked on win98?
                          I need to put double quotes around folder names with spaces in them for CD'ing too. Without the quotes I just get an error.

I just remebered the commands my parents teachend me, when I was very very very little and there was no Windows. I am surprised myself, I rembered it.
                          I'm glad you do. It seems to be a lost art these days.

Comment

Well, thanks, but I just told you how to use MapCopy. Dusty gets the credit for actually making MapCopy.
                            Dusty, if you read this, feel virtually hugged for a lifetime!!!

And before you go on a rampage using MapCopy to copy maps back and forth... Changing land to Ocean or vice versa, or doing any terrain changes involving the Grassland or Plains terrain types could very well create AI problems... But please do go on and experiment, if only so you can explain how MapCopy works to someone next time.
                            heh, rampaging would be some kind of typical of me

But don't worry. It was just a test, to see if my cities would really reappear.
                            I will remodel the map again, as I developed some new terrain system with industrialized - semi industrialized and - farmland terrain. More exhaustive than single strong spots but that for less extra bonus.

I won't experiment with ocean cities in a global scen, too. Also AI doesn't really matter except perhaps Chinese Barb Events. But that's maybe another topic. I do design for PBEM purpose.

Did I tell all you guys, that Civ2 still attracts new people?
                            I started a game with friends of my RL. Just us, no foreigners. For the athmosphere. All noobs but me. For sure it took 3 games to teach them to a certain level, but 2 of those former newbs are really doing well with this scenario now. Very well, to be honest.
                            2 others are at least average and will still improve, I think.

Soon they will all be good enough to participate at public Civ2 games.

The great thing about this is that they all are in fire. They love playing it, Diplomacy at ICQ takes hours. We call each other at the phone to wake up those still sleeping and not doing the turn. Some days we can play 3 turns a day.

Told you just because of the MGE discussion and to show Civ2 is not dead.

I'm glad you do. It seems to be a lost art these days.
                            I'd be glad to help someone some day.
                            Though I have to admit I am not kind of an experienced guy regarding programming stuff, tools and such.
                            At least I really have problems to copy and paste terrains from others scenarios, as I get grey tile "corners".

Comment

Working...
                            X