We have a problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have a problem.

I just checked the SL wiki and the spam I deleted yesterday is back. Plus I found more on other pages.

Can someone explain how this happens? Is there anything we can do about it? If we as a community can put our heads together, there must be something we can do.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

All I know is an idea mentioned before that an admin should confirm new registers. There's also another way to prevent bots to register. I don't know how to get it, but it's a pic with letters and umbers that you should repeat into a box (the pic updates everytime u register).
    "Peace cannot be kept by force.
    It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Tech, can you track who/what added the spam?

Originally posted by Arthedain
      There's also another way to prevent bots to register. I don't know how to get it, but it's a pic with letters and umbers that you should repeat into a box (the pic updates everytime u register).
      For some reason that method isn't bot-proof I'd strongly recomend requiring an admin to activate all new accounts - but even that can be a hassle as bots sometimes attempt to register lots of times.
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Everything I know about computers, I learned playing Civ2. Everything I know about the internet, I learned on Apolyton. So, no, I'm afraid not.

How does Apolyton keep spambots out? Or the Wikipedia?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

G, your mailbox is reading full again.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

sorry - empty now
            http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Originally posted by Arthedain
              All I know is an idea mentioned before that an admin should confirm new registers. There's also another way to prevent bots to register. I don't know how to get it, but it's a pic with letters and umbers that you should repeat into a box (the pic updates everytime u register).
              You mean like rapidshare uses - a series of letters and numbers generated in a bitmap that bots can't read? That should work, shouldn't it?
              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Yeah, that's what I thought, Gareth. Bots can't read. And it's simpler than having an admin do all the work.

Comment

while that may be true, we probably get one person registering a month. Call me old fashioned, but perhaps a human touch would be better.
                  This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

As long as someone wants to do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X